Upgrading OS X without interfering with OS9

Reaction score
I'm attempting to help my son improve his Mac experience. He recently acquired a used G4 for next to nothing. It has OS X 10.1 and OS9. OS9 is needed for some of the applications, so I do not want to delete it.

I'm newly returning to the Mac world (see my other threads);D so I need fairly simple directions. How do I upgrade OS X without corrupting OS9? Can I just start up from the OS X 10.3 disk? Will selecting "upgrade" allow me to choose WHICH OS I want to upgrade? I don't want to mess this up and have to start from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, just boot from the OS 10.3 disk. You can not "upgrade" OS9 to OSX as they are COMPLETELY different systems. You can ONLY upgrade 10.1 to 10.3, this will do absolutely nothing to the OS9 system on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
First of all, try not to bump your topic until at least 24 hours have passed. We have no problem giving out free help, but I really hate it when people get impatient. If you want instant help, call Apple and have your credit card ready.

Now. OS X and OS 9 are totally separate, and upgrading one will not affect the other. You'll use the Startup Disk control panel/Preference Pane to switch between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Cool. I wasn't trying to offend. There were 7 views, but no responses.

It could easily have been seven people with the same question, looking for the same answer.

Sometimes you get a quick answer, sometimes not. And sometimes, the first answer is not the best one...many times the discussion can go on for a couple of days as all the points of view are considered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.