New iMac - problem with graphics?

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a new iMac a week ago. Everything seems fine but there seems to be something wrong with the graphics. When I play such game as UT2004, it randomly freezes and I have no other choise to hold down the power button and restart my computer. There seems to be abit of a problem with ET (Enemy Territory) too. Its kind of laggy, some maps just seem very strange and changing game settings it just freezes. I've heard that soething like that happened with WoW too (World of Warcraft). I dont know about other games, but this is getting annoying.
My friend told me that it had to be somesort of graphics card drivers thingie and in fortcoming update Apple is going to fix it. Is it true? Does anybody else have these problems?

Any help is welcome,
greetz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Help us out. What size and kind of iMac is it? How much RAM?

If it starts and works fine before and after the gaming session my first call is overheating on the video card. Tell us more about the machine first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
see if the game is current if not, install any updates... see if that helps.

OP
F
Reaction score
I have 20"/2.4GHz/1GB iMac. I dont want to belive that its overheating, heard many people complain about it but dont know te solution yet.
And I checked for updates also, my software is up to date.

Any help is welcome,
greetz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Having it freeze in games is indeed a good indicator of overheating. It could be software related, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.8GHz, 2gig ram
Hi,

I just bought a new iMac a week ago. Everything seems fine but there seems to be something wrong with the graphics. When I play such game as UT2004, it randomly freezes and I have no other choise to hold down the power button and restart my computer. There seems to be abit of a problem with ET (Enemy Territory) too. Its kind of laggy, some maps just seem very strange and changing game settings it just freezes. I've heard that soething like that happened with WoW too (World of Warcraft). I dont know about other games, but this is getting annoying.
My friend told me that it had to be somesort of graphics card drivers thingie and in fortcoming update Apple is going to fix it. Is it true? Does anybody else have these problems?

Any help is welcome,
greetz

I have a 24" 2.8ghz 2 gig ram. WoW has frozen on me a few times, when it freezes it seems to just be the graphics because once i had music playing in the backround and that still played, i just lost the mouse pointer and couldn't click to change to anything else.

I didn't know how to force quit it so i held the power button till it reset. If it does it again I'll try command+option+esc and see if that works

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, it only seems to be the problem with the new iMac, so Im still guessing its the problem wit graphics card drivers. It may be overheating but I really doubt on it, because sometimes I play for 3 or more hours without any problems, sometimes I even cant play for 5 minutes.
Somewhere I heard it was the problem with drivers so Im hoping for update to fix it. May the forthcoming Leopard fix it?

Greetings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.