Help getting mac mini and canon printer set up on network

Reaction score
Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a mac mini (first mac, too - I am a switcher) and would like help getting my mini to print on my network.

Setup: Setup before mac mini arrived was as followed: 2wire DSL modem with integrated router. 3 PC's on home network. Canon Pixma Ip4000 printer connected to Windows XP Pro computer, which serves it to the rest of the network. Everything works fine.

My mac mini can see the printer on the windows xp machine, but the best I can get it to do on printing is one blink out of the indicator light. I have tried installing Guten printer drivers, but the mini stalled on "connecting to epsilon on port 621." Tried disabling windows firewall on xp pro machine to no avail.

I have read that Canon printers do not work with this kind of setup, and the mini will eventually replace the xp pro machine and I don't want to have to keep a machine booted as a print server, so I am thinking about putting the canon printer on a print server on the network.

Turns out that I'm already using all 4 of the ports on the router, so I'll need a switch, too. Any recommendations for a mac-compatible switch (have heard that linksys products are not compatible with appletalk)?

In summary:
-What print server do you recommend?
-What switch do you recommend?
-Any other software that I would need/tips that might come in handy?

Thank you!!
David Migl

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Printer sounds like driver issue.

Where did you hear Linksys or for that matter any Switch will not work on an Apple network? I use all Linksys here and one Dlink Gigabit and not a problem with ANY Mac here or any PC either. I am using a Dlink DP-301U print server and not an issue with my Macs, Pc's nor Linux systems.

Any switch will work. I have had very good luck with my Dlink Gigabit 8-Port switch. My Routers and other switches are all Linksys.

OP
D
Reaction score
The reference is here, (scroll down to second review) stating that linksys will not route apple talk (I am unclear on mac networking, though).

I will look into the drivers for the printer issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting because I use Apple Talk to network with older Macs through 2 linksys Switches here and never had a issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Update....

I received a buffalo lpv3-u2 print server today that I ordered, no luck in getting it to print though.

Windows pc's print just fine through the print server. Mac prints but gets "jobs stopped" and trying to start the jobs results in them being stopped again. I have tried original canon, guten-print, and print fab drivers.

Any thoughts? I think it would be more economical to return the print server and buy a separate printer to use just with the mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, my Dlink DP-301U print server works perfectly but I am not using a Canon Pixma Ip4000, and it's probably something with the driver and network printing. My Brother Laser and HP Deskjet both work great Networked using the Dlink.

OP
D
Reaction score
For reference: I got the printer printing after much effort. I had to use Guten-print drivers, which provide basic functionality. In the "location" box I had to enter "buffalo" (or the name/address of print server), and I had to enter "P1" for the queue - a vital step.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is interesting as with my Dlink I mentioned above, all that info showed up with no help from me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.