Mac's OS RAM memory usage / consumption

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher and I'm trying to get a good understanding of the Mac's OS RAM memory usage / consumption.

I have a 2007 Aluminum iMac, 2.4 Ghz, 24 inch screen, 500 Gig HDD, 2 Gigs RAM. Looking at the Activity Monitor or iStat, I can see that I have about:

200-230 Megs or Wired memory
500+ Megs of Active memory
500+ Megs of Inactive memory
700+ Megs of free memory

all out of a total of 2 Gigs

These numbers are without any programs running besides the Finder, Quicksilver and a few of the basic Widgets. The computer's been running for over a week without a restart (I put it into sleep mode instead). Is this normal to have this much Active memory? I think I've read that certain programs can take more and more Active memory as the computer goes without a restart but I'm not sure how true that is.

Anyone have any insight on this or know where I can get more info?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think having that much active memory is totally possible. And yeah some apps do make more and more of it active. But beware for some apps have a memory leak and make this even worse.

I think a quick log off and back on every so often would fix this problem I think and is lex tasing on the machine than a full restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's normal. If you hover the mouse over the labels next to each it'll tell you what they mean. I'm not sure of the difference between Inactive and Free - I think Inactive is memory that has been used in the past and then deallocated, Free is memory that's never been used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.