lost icon pictures on destop

Reaction score
Hi, i recently lost the pictures that are displayed on the icons. For example, a Word file, the icon for that file will just have a black paper and the name of the file. It will not display the "W" to show that it is a word file. any help?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Could it be a corrupted icon cache I wonder? I am guessing here, but I did find this bit of shareware:

http://www.koingosw.com/products/macpilot.php

that says it can reset a Mac's icon cache. I checked OnyX, but it doesn't seem to have this ability. Other members - do you know of tools to reset or rebuild an icon cache?

OP
M
Reaction score
hey..i did something and it work! thanks mac57! +rep.
I just repaired permissions, restarted and everything is back to normal. great program

M

MacHeadCase

Could it be a corrupted icon cache I wonder? I am guessing here, but I did find this bit of shareware:

http://www.koingosw.com/products/macpilot.php

that says it can reset a Mac's icon cache. I checked OnyX, but it doesn't seem to have this ability. Other members - do you know of tools to reset or rebuild an icon cache?

Just had a look at MacPilot and that utility looks pretty awesome, mac57! Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it can even hide or lock folders, applications from other users on the same Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to be of service!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, software like this is a good argument for not LEAPING into Leopard as soon as it comes out. This kind of utility is just invaluable, but it will likely take 6 months or so for most vendors to upgrade to Leopard compatibility. The more I think about it, the more I am quite sure I am going to hang back on Tiger for quite a while.

The only thing that might pry me out sooner is if Leopard turned out to run significantly faster on the same hardware. I am a computing need-for-speed junkie - faster software would convince to make the leap sooner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.