iBook won't start - flashing question mark

Reaction score
I have just bought a iBook G3 which had the infamous logic board problem which I mended with a hot air gun. My hopes were high when I started it and the screen lit up. However there was the folder with flashing mac face/question mark. I tried to boot with alt pressed down but the hard drive didn't show up. Since I don't have the OS X disc I put i a Yellow Dog Linux CD (which I have installed on a iBook G4 several times) but it couldn't be read and the tray was ejected.

My first thought is of course that the hard drive is faulty but I'm a little concerned why the optical drive can't read from CD. Could there be any other possible explanation? Is there any other infamous logic board fault with this symptom? I'm a little afraid I have ruined something when torching the GPU. What would be my next step?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Hmm... when I had that question mark flashing it was the HDD had conked off (and the apple store guys were like pretty sure about it being a HDD problem when they saw it)

Reaction score
I have the same problem and think the hardrive has died. Also can anyone tell me how to obtain a set up disc for my Macbook 2006 model, the original was lost. Given I need a new hardrive I will require the setup. Appreciate any assistance/advice you can provide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.