Mail -> Attach file (photo) from iPhoto

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my new iMac, and need some help. Here is the question ...

I downloaded images from my camera into iPhoto, and it created an event with all pictures inside, nicely organized (wow!) ...

Now, ... when I use Mail to send pictures as attachments, I click on attach button, and it opens Finder where I browse until it gets to photos, and it shows only iPhoto library, but not individual files. I can drag a picture from iPhoto into message body, but I would rather like them to go as an attachment.

What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
In my opinion, the two best approaches to sending messages with images from iPhoto are these:

1- Open iPhoto, select the pictures you want to send, then click the "Email" button on the bottom of the screen. Choose the desired resolution, then click on "Compose". Then send.

2- Open iPhoto, select the pictures you want to send and drag them to the desktop. Close iPhoto, open Mail, and attach the desktop images to your new message.

Note: With Apple Mail, any attached photo will be seen as images in the message body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
Stupid Question.. When I get my iMac how do I send e-mail? My address is AOL but I would like to use that neat new stationary, etc. in .mac mail?? So sorry for thise dumb question. I know mac is not an ISP.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
There is a built-in mail client called... welll... Mail. :)

You can configure it to send mail through your AOL account, and yes I do believe you can use the stationery and whatnot.
Stupid Question.. When I get my iMac how do I send e-mail? My address is AOL but I would like to use that neat new stationary, etc. in .mac mail?? So sorry for thise dumb question. I know mac is not an ISP.

Thanks

Reaction score
attachments to email

Question for Guybrush:
I am new to Mac from PC Outlook Express. Is there any way to send photos through Mail as an attachment rather than embedded? Will my windows recipients be able to view and download and save my photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Try going to EDIT---Attachments---- Always send windows friendly Attachments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
And stay out of the iPhoto library in finder! Do as guybrush said to attach photos. Mucking about in the finder, like Windows users do in Windows, will create havoc in your iPhoto app. Just do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the iPhoto app itself. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder. Let iPhoto manage its library itself under the hood, so to speak, and you manage your photos from the app.

Reaction score
sending photos from iphoto through mail

Thanks for all your advice. Now a new question for this new Mac user and reluctant switcher.....When I send photos from within iphoto through mail, the quality is terrible, whether I choose medium, full, or actual quality, the received version is pixelated and terrible. What am I doing wrong? When I chose the photo, it asks me what size, and I have tried all size options, but no improvement. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Thanks for all your advice. Now a new question for this new Mac user and reluctant switcher.....When I send photos from within iphoto through mail, the quality is terrible, whether I choose medium, full, or actual quality, the received version is pixelated and terrible. What am I doing wrong? When I chose the photo, it asks me what size, and I have tried all size options, but no improvement. Thanks!

Have you seen this yourself or have you been told by others? I'm guessing it's a windows thing as windows attaches two files... one real low k file and one actual file. Are they viewing the larger of the two files?

Reaction score
Actually I saw it myself, I sent myself a photo from Mac to Mac, from iphoto through Mail. Also saw it on my PC laptop. Terrible resolution, large pixels.

Reaction score
no attachments only embedded with iphoto and mail

I send email with attachments to my pc from my new imac. Was not a problem before but now they are embedded - the Always send windows friendly Attachments has always been selected in my mail - I'm thinking it's a iphoto update thing because my friend emails me photos from his old version iphoto and they come through on my pc as attachments. If anyone has some insight into this, I'd love to hear it because it's a real drag.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my new iMac, and need some help. Here is the question ...

I downloaded images from my camera into iPhoto, and it created an event with all pictures inside, nicely organized (wow!) ...

Now, ... when I use Mail to send pictures as attachments, I click on attach button, and it opens Finder where I browse until it gets to photos, and it shows only iPhoto library, but not individual files. I can drag a picture from iPhoto into message body, but I would rather like them to go as an attachment.

What am I doing wrong?

Same thing happened to me - see my message below. But here is a fix Mail Attachments Iconizer 2.1 http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer . The only thing about this is that you don't see the photo in the messages area of your outgoing email, but windows users do receive it as a correct attachment.

Reaction score
I'm having this problem of attached photos in Mail pixelating badly as well, but it seems to be a new problem and I don't remember it happening before. Surely there must be an explanation for this - is it a problem with the latest version of the software? It really should not be necessary to use third party software to send a decent quality photo on a Mac. Somebody please help us on this as it is certainly driving me mad and forcing me to use Gmail instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

Thanks Kilted - I've been plagued by this problem for a while. I was zipping my picture files so that Windows recipients could read them. This has fixed that. Thanks to OP for raising the issue too.

Reaction score
I also thank you, just hadn't gotten around to asking the question. Still on VERY basic stuff, although sending photos should be pretty basic. Hard to break Windows habits after so many years. But I'm getting there!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having the same problem. I verified that the file size sent is smaller than the actual file size even if I chose Actual Size (Full Quality). However, after reading the forum, I realised that on the right bottom corner at the mail compose window, you have to choose again the correct Image Size. It is kind of stupid for iPhoto to ask what is the size when you have to do it again at Mail.

I hope this helps but clearly Apple is slacking at the intuitive department in the design interface as both software are from Apple.

kk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.