Option/Alt key+C Doesn't work anymore...

Reaction score
I used to be able to type the following character - ç in my mac by pressing option/alt+c and then c. But now, it simply doesn't work; if I add shift into the shortcut, it manages to give me a capital ç, but never, ever a small one. Even the on screen keyboard won't output a ç.

Help please, I can't do any of my french work without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Can't help with the keyboard shortcut, but if you go into International Preferences, then the Input Menu tab and turn on Show Input Menu in menu bar, you'll get your national flag appear near the clock. Click on that and choose Show Character Palette you can enter characters from there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, I kinda already knew how to enter it manually. And for the first time, I can't honestly stress how useful it was having a windows machine nearby. Though my final project wasn't as pretty as it would have been if done on the mac, at least I was able to do it.

Still hoping for any answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Thanks, I kinda already knew how to enter it manually.

Your post implied you were unable to do so. Hope someone else can shed some light on this for you.

M

MacHeadCase

What changed between when it worked and when it didn't? Did you install any software or updates?

Anyhow, a fast and dirty way to get the French characters would be to change your keyboard language to French while you are working on your files.

Other than that, you changed something on your Mac and your shortcut doesn't work anymore.

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't really do much on my mac since I'm new besides typing up stuff, and I've tried switching to French, and still didn't work. I browse a lot, and everything is perfect except for this... it wouldn't make sense that every other alt+something combination would work except the cedilla if I did manage to screw it up. Then again Garbage In Garbage Out?

Oh well, thanks anyways... I'll just have to use my computer for French work.

Edit: Oh yeah, I did install all the automatic updates from apple, just to answer your question since it might help, but I doubt an official update might result in this. I have Japanese, French and English languages in the International Menu Bar thingy, and the cedilla worked even then.

M

MacHeadCase

The only thing that I can think of is that an application or some other system shortcut has taken over that combination of keys.

Did you have a look at your System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and see if anything is using Option + C?

And on a French keyboard (well mine, really), the cedilla has its own key and it is located here... (So no need for a keyboard shortcut anymore.)

french_keyboard_mapping.jpg

keyboard_language.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow what a useful keyboard! Yerr, I checked there, but I might as well and check again to see... I checked, nothing with a c... thanks for trying yeah?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.