Xbox 360 controllers and MacMame

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I want to hook up 2 wired Xbox360 controllers to my Mac and play games in MacMame. Is that too much to ask? Oh goodness yes.

Yesterday MacMame worked fine with just one controller. I could assign keys and it wouldn't go nutzoid. But I added a second wired controller today, and MacMame can no longer make heads or tails of anything. I try to assign keys and I keep getting an Axis as part of my controls, see:

macmame.png

All I want is J1 Button #12, not all of the other nonsense! This all occurs with a single button press.

There is no way to assign a key without an axis getting in there, thus rendering the controls unusable. I've tried unplugging and replugging the controller. All I want to do is assign 4 digital direction keys, 4 button keys and an insert coin and start key for each controller. I don't want any analog functions. What can I kick to make this work? Why did it work yesterday? If I unplug the second controller, delete all of the config files and try again with just the one controller, it still does the same thing. And no, I am not pressing any analog buttons and they are centered when the controller is plugged in. What can I kick to make it work?

It doesn't seem to matter if I have an Xbox360 controller Preference Pane or not.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Alright I think I figured it out. I restarted the computer with both controllers plugged in to the USB on the front of the machine. Then I started up MacMame and launched a game. I pressed TAB to set the controls, but I still got the same type of thing with the axis. So I moved both analog pads around in a few circles while still in the menu. I tried to set the buttons again and it worked just fine. So I guess moving the analog pads around while in the menu before you select your buttons is the key.

Thanks everybody for your exhaustive help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.