resetting admin password, disc not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
HELP Cannot reformat using disc, unknown admin password

I just got an ibook g4 and I need to reformat it. So I stick in the dvd, restart it, hold down the c button at the appropriate time and all I get is a black screen with a cursor on it that won't respond! So I bootup without the cd, stick it in and click install os x, but I need the admin password before ti can restart and automatically boot for the disc! Any advice? Apples site wasn't any help, their section for 10.3 and 10.4 uses methods only available in 10.4

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I get to the point where it asks me for a new password it will not let me type anything. Any other advice?

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uw / [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

this allowed me to create another admin account but when I restart to bot from the cd (I needed a pasword) it still doesn't boot!

I get a black screen with curser and no response, this si really frusterating

EDIT: Figured it out. Instead of reformatting I just deleted the old account so it's pretty much like new! Does anybody know how to format it so when the customer starts ti up it goes through the setup process?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.