• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to Backup DVD's

Reaction score
Gday all,
Im wondering if anyone can help me. I need to backup a few dvd's and im not entirely sure how to go about it. I've browsed through the forums and what i understand is i need to rip the dvd onto my comp using MacTheRipper (MTR), compress the files using toast 7, 8, popcorn or DVD2oneX, and then burn the dvd using toast or disk utility. Does that sound right? The dvd i want to backup right now is only 2.73 GB so does not need compressing. I used MTR to create Video_TS and Audio_TS files in my movie folder. Then, as these files were less than 4.3 GB i tried to burn them using disk utility. I went to images -> burn, but then i could not select the Video_TS files. They are all in .IFO, .BUP and .VOB form but being a rookie i dont know what these mean. Next thing i tried was to copy these files into toast 6 titanium and burn them from there. It burnt but the disk wouldnt play. Can anyone help me out here as im definitely a beginner. Also can i compress a dvd using toast 6 titanium or do i need toast 7, 8 or popcorn?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
to burn discs in toast, you need to make sure you are not burning a data disc. i have not used toast 6, but i know on 8 under "movies" there is an option to burn a video_ts folder. maybe someone who has used 6 can help you out better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Please see this thread. Discussion of ripping DVDs, even as backups is prohibited here.

OP
C
Reaction score
i have read the rules cwa107, this is a personal dvd and therefore not copy protected

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have read the rules cwa107, this is a personal dvd and therefore not copy protected

If that's true, there's no need for any ripping software. Simply copy the disc. Toast 8 can do any compression you might need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.