• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Faster???

N

Nightblade

Absolute Zero said:
Mac OS X is kinda slow compaired to it's past OSes and Windows. The PowerPC is slower than x86 (it could be the other way around, I dunno, its what I have heard. And I wont trust a fanboy of Mac/Windows from what he/she says.)
It's really only a 49 MHz difference...

No, it's a 490 MHz difference. That's the difference between 1 GHz and 1.49 GHz.

D

d4rr3n

WilliS said:
ps. just to add some fuel to the fire, all your tests for the g5 are old...time to do them again with the 2.5ghz :)

Yes, they were using 2.0 ghz g5's. But they were also using 2.0ghz opterons, 3.2 ghz p4's, and athlon xp2800+'s. The g5 may be at 2.5ghz now, but the opterons are at 2.4 ghz now and the athlons are at a rating of 3800+ now and are 64bit as well. Keep in mind the pc's were all running at stock settings. Imagine running those benchmarks again with a 3ghz a64 or a 4.5ghz p4

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Nightblade said:
No, it's a 490 MHz difference. That's the difference between 1 GHz and 1.49 GHz.
Sorry about that, my **** eye has been twiching for 3 days now.

W

WilliS

d4rr3n said:
Yes, they were using 2.0 ghz g5's. But they were also using 2.0ghz opterons, 3.2 ghz p4's, and athlon xp2800+'s. The g5 may be at 2.5ghz now, but the opterons are at 2.4 ghz now and the athlons are at a rating of 3800+ now and are 64bit as well. Keep in mind the pc's were all running at stock settings. Imagine running those benchmarks again with a 3ghz a64 or a 4.5ghz p4

man, kids these days, you missed my blatent sarcasm...i could care less if the 2.4ghz dual opteron out performs a 2.5ghz g5...

let me ask you this... do you own a 2.4 ghz dual opteron? or a 2.0 ghz dual opteron for that matter?

and in the very slim chance that you do, how often do you render 40mb images in photoshop?

and in the very very slim chance that you do this often, how often do you NEED your images to render in 17 seconds, and absolutly cant have it render in only 20 seconds?

and if that is still the case, i want you to work for me. because i dont know anyone who is so productive that 3 seconds rendering difference can mean something to you.

maybe i do care that the dual 2.0ghz g5 was one of the fastest computers when it first came out...but then again, i bought it... i should care... you *probably* dont own any of the above listed computers, so why do you care so much? and why is it such a big deal that it beat apple by 1 second?

and while im on the topic, ever notice your data is from a pcworld website? there are a number of ways to test computers in certain ways to make data look good in your favor.... just as apples website showed their computer beating the fastest PCs, pc websites show their computers beating the fastest macs.

but again, tickle me with a mindless responce...

D

d4rr3n

kids these days eh? you apparently missed the entire point of both the benchmarks i posted. my point was to show how close in performance g5's and pc's are, most tests are around 1-2% difference. please dont get your panties in a bunch. i love how you all talk about how much faster a mac is for photoshop and editing and what not, but then when benchmarks show a pc beating it you say it's no big deal anymore. rendering a 40mb image in photoshop sure seemed to be a **** of a lot more important to everyone when apple showed benches of the g5 winnning. and how is posting 2 benchmarks from different websites a mindless response? as far as what i own, i have a locked xp2500+ overclocked to 2.7ghz (about a 50% overclock)....it's about the equivalent of a p4 at 3.6ghz. i dont see how that should have any bearing on the benchmarks i posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
d4rr3n said:

On this page, you see a little blurb:
One benchmark is never the full story. See the G5 Benchmarking page to see what other benchmarks are showing. And stay tuned. The G5 will be an evolving story...

There are links on that G5 Benchmarking page to some 14 other sets of benchmarks. The G5 wins some, and looses others.

My point: take any two computers, and you can probably find a benchmark to "prove" that either is faster than the other. Computers are incredibly complicated, and its just too hard to find a basis for comparison. And it's not just the Mac people, or Intel people, or the AMD people that try to manipulate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Absolute Zero said:
That is DEFINETLY NOT TRUE.

You calling me a liar?

W

WilliS

d4rr3n said:
.. i love how you all talk about how much faster a mac..

"you all" ?

now we are being placed in a catagory of being a mac excentric?

im sure that would upset more than a few members of this forum, if they knew you were grouping them in that same "fanboy" attitude towards macs and against PCs that some members undoubtedly have.

anyway, im not here to single you out... i just was commenting on everyone bickering over viruses, speed tests, and the alike...

D

d4rr3n

GJ continue flamebaiting, you win. :rolleyes: Nice job trying to take an argument between me and you and turn in into me attacking EVERYONE at these forums. My point was YOU and a couple other members here like to post benchmarks of g5's winning photoshop and the like. Love to gloat on how fast it is for all these things. But when you find out a pc actually beats it by a second or two (which honestly is really meaningless) you act like you no longer care about how fast you can do these things. But whatever, cant change a hypocrite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Graphite said:
You calling me a liar?
No no no, just saying you are wrong. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
W

WilliS

d4rr3n said:
GJ continue flamebaiting, you win. :rolleyes: Nice job trying to take an argument between me and you and turn in into me attacking EVERYONE at these forums. My point was YOU and a couple other members here like to post benchmarks of g5's winning photoshop and the like. Love to gloat on how fast it is for all these things. But when you find out a pc actually beats it by a second or two (which honestly is really meaningless) you act like you no longer care about how fast you can do these things. But whatever, cant change a hypocrite.

My computer IS fast.
My computer WAS fastest.
My computer STILL rocks yours.
My computer OUTPERFORMS yours.
My computer LOOKS better.
My computer RUNS better.
My computer BLOWS your mind.

are you happy now?

im a hypocrite now? when was the last time i posted a benchmark test? actually, my last few posts have been about bad apple support, a bad video card, and a bad choice in marketing by apple by not making an aluminum 17 inch studio display, and only having the new monitors start at 20 inches.

when the G5 first came out, it was the fastest, period. i own a 2.0 dual ghz... im old news.. go find someone with a 2.5ghz whos tooting the horn of superiority, because in all honesty, you're attacking the wrong person.

and i didnt have an arguement with you, my first post in this thread was telling witeshark and absolute zero to chill out with the virus/adware stuff...and just because you were posting tests from last year, and nobody cares when pc magazine does a test to show what computers rank where...every test is biased, i figured i would let you know. from there, you thought i was questioning the validity of your tests or whatever, and you went on, spitting out the new updated specs of the current computers, as if i care. i was being sarcastic to you, im happy with my machine, and i have no reason to debate with you whether i have the fastest computer or not..because i can tell you for sure that i dont... they have a 2.5ghz now... anything past that, i dont care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Absolute Zero said:
No no no, just saying you are wrong. :p

and im telling you. your wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
and im telling you. your wrong.
Now I can call you a liar.

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.