Please Help Me Set Up My Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Hey guys here it is:

Trying to set up my wireless router - my ISP requires mac address authentication and we are using more than one computer

I understand that I need to find the mac address of this laptop (which I registered on) and then change the mac address of my router to the same one

I can access my router via 192.168.1.1 but I don't really know where to find the correct mac address... none so far seem to work

Could you guys help please? My network works fine - just no internet on it yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Starky, your router should tell you its MAC address. Is it a Linksys router? If so, look on the "Setup" tab. Then click "MAC Address Clone". You can enter the MAC address you want the router to use here.

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, the ISP is registered to this laptop so I think I'm correct in understanding that I need the mac address of this laptop.

So here's what I'm doing:

Plug the ethernet connection into laptop
find mac address
plug ethernet connection into router
navigate to router IP
change the mac address of the router

Still can't access the net =( If it makes any difference, it's a wireless Router, Netgear.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's called Cloning your MAC address. Look for that in the router setup.

To find the Laptops MAC address, I take it it's a Mac, open system preferences, Networking, click on your network connection then on the Ethernet Tab. Look for Ethernet ID.

On my Netgear it's on the basic settings page. Look for Router MAC Address and click on "Use this MAC address" then enter the MAC address you got from your Macs networking. Save it and it should work. Not sure of your Netgear model, so if you have issues, what Model is your router?

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Router is a WGR614 and yeah I have done exactly what you described travis without any luck =(

It does the whole apply settings thing but then times out when it is trying to connect to the netgear site (and will not connect to any other site)

Is there any other info that I could find for you that might help you figure out what's wrong?

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there we go, it just decided to work now :)

Tried it a few times and did a few resets and we're away

Thanks for all your help guys :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad it works! Some routers I have had to set up were stubborn like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.