Weird little soft ding-dong noise happening at random times.

Reaction score
I've only been using OSX for like two weeks, so I'm not used to everything yet.

Sometimes, when I'm working, I hear this nice little "ding dong, dong ding dong". Or, maybe it sounds more like little musical-type plops.

But, nothing is actually happening. It isn't Skype, or MSN, or Mail (or any other program that I'm aware of) notifying me of anything. And, it seems to be happening at random times, so I don't think that it is a timer of any description.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Thoughts?
Yeah. You're doing something you're not supposed to. Like hitting keyboard shortcuts for menu items that are disabled; hitting arrow right at the end of a text buffer or a Terminal line; something like that.

Turn the volume up and check what your default sound is and play it so you can recognise it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah. You're doing something you're not supposed to. Like hitting keyboard shortcuts for menu items that are disabled; hitting arrow right at the end of a text buffer or a Terminal line; something like that.

Turn the volume up and check what your default sound is and play it so you can recognise it.

I don't think that's it. I just went through all of the possible sounds (in the Sounds control panel), and none of them were the same sound.

And, sometimes, this nice little ding a ling noise happens without me touching the keyboard. It is also a little bit too long to be a mere system sound.

Ugh. I want to figure this out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Have you searched the forum? I'm sure this has cropped up before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
What machine are you using? I've got a Powerbook G4 (1.67GHz) that will make random "beep" noises, and it will do it even when the volume is muted. I can go a week without hearing them, then suddenly I'll get them for an evening, then the next day they are gone. Happens when I'm plugged in, or on battery.

I've read inconsistent reports that it's the hard drive signaling that it's going bad, however the SMART status is always "OK" and I'm on a new hard drive (the old one certainly did go bad).

Reaction score
i had that for months till i realised it was the mail client, i have a rule to store certain mails into a different folder. It seems when this happens you still get the bing bong but the little red sticker does not appear thats only for inbox items so its not obvious what has happened. Do you think that could be the reason?

Tom

Reaction score
I just fixed this. It was an annoying *** widget that i downloaded. An alarm one that for some reason, would set an alarm for the next minute, when the next minute came, would re-set the alarm for the following minute.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.