HELP! Share folder via IP on a Mac

Reaction score
Hi Guys I am in a bind, I need to make a shortcut of another device that is only accessible via IP address show up on the "desktop" of a mac ox10 desktop PC. I know how to do it on a PC but not a mac, maybe if I explain it in Windows term you guys will see where I am comming from.

On a Windows XP pc I would click "Start" then "Run", then type in the ip address of what I want to access "\\192.168.1.105" then the window that comes up I would just drag the little computer icon next to the address bar onto the desktop. I would now have a shortcut of the network device on my desktop!

Or I can map a network drive in windows but just replace the computer name with the IP address and it would work the same.

The device that I am trying to share it with the mac is not a NAS drive, it is only accessible via IP address, no workgroups. The system is a mp3 whole home distrubution drive, I want to make it easy for one of my customers with the mac to just drag and drop his MP3s into a folder on his desktop, so his music will show up on the system.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am a idiot when it comes to macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Command+K, and then enter the ip address in there. You might have to add the smb:// suffix to it.

As for saving a shortcut, you can save that ip in the connect window as a favourite. I'm not sure about the shortcut, but try dragging that volume into the Finder sidebar...should stay there.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks Goobimama!

I just want to verify somethings, so I don't go there with my pants down

I can use the command+K Anywhere?
Then I would type in "smb://192.168.1.105"?
Connect Window is in the system preferences right?
Finder sidebar is the bar at the bottom of the screen right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
To use command+K, your safest bet is to click on the desktop to activate finder.
Yes
Connect Window is not in the system preferences. It is, after clicking on the desktop and activating finder, in the "Go" menu (on the top menubar)
Finder sidebar, is the bar on the left, when you open a finder window (AKA, Mac Explorer). Its the one where "Desktop", "Documents, "Music" and such are lined up.
The one at the bottom is the dock.

Reaction score
You can use command+k in the finder and you can save the IP address. Another solution would be to use automator and create a small application that you could execute to connect to the IP address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.