Cli & Gui

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Now every Mac user in the known world is going to be gunning for me if I ask about Mac's CLI. Probably because Apple worked hard to bring out the first Mac with GUI as standard.

For those of you not familiar with the term;
CLI - Command Line Interface (DOS, Unix, etc.....)
GUI - Graphic User Interface (Aqua, etc... )

Both have their limitations... but how often does one have to use CLI on a Mac??
I know that when I was using Windows, I had to do quite a few stuff on CLI inorder to get it working after a crash or something...

I do know this... using CLI impresses people... it shows that you are smarter than you look... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
cli is not that important in mac os, however, there are times you may need it. Its located in the applications folder if you feel like poking around (if you are comfortable with unix enough)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The Terminal.app application (in your Utiities folder) is a standard Bash command prompt. It's initial appearance is dull and drab, but it is fully configurable. It supports all the expected *nix commands. Do note however, if you are coming from Linux, that it supports the BSD flavor of these commands (Mac OS X is based, at its very heart, on FreeBSD) so the command switches are sometimes different than the Linux ones. However, your good friend "man" is there to help you out when things don't work as you expect.

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.