Problems with Airport connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2GHz and a 20" Imac
Sorry if this one has been posted before, I searched but couldn't find an answer. My Macbook worked fine straight out of the box with a Netgear wireless modem / router we have had for a year or more. Recently I've had trouble connecting - when I turn the Mac on it can't see the router, and takes me through network diagnostics which eventually asks me for a password which I have never had to use before, and don't know ! Last time this happened I put the computer down for a couple of days as I was busy and when I turned it on again it worked fine, but it has stopped connecting again today and it's bugging me. There is no problem with the router or signal (I'm typing this on my iMac which is much further away and has full signal). Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry if this one has been posted before, I searched but couldn't find an answer. My Macbook worked fine straight out of the box with a Netgear wireless modem / router we have had for a year or more. Recently I've had trouble connecting - when I turn the Mac on it can't see the router, and takes me through network diagnostics which eventually asks me for a password which I have never had to use before, and don't know ! Last time this happened I put the computer down for a couple of days as I was busy and when I turned it on again it worked fine, but it has stopped connecting again today and it's bugging me. There is no problem with the router or signal (I'm typing this on my iMac which is much further away and has full signal). Can anyone help please ?

Many thanks

My guess is that someone just installed a wireless router in your neighborhood and that it is possibly conflicting with yours. Read through the wireless networking FAQ which is linked to in my signature. Specifically, concentrate on the section about using AirPort Rader to determine the channels of other routers in your area and adjusting yours to a different channel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.