What happens to all the old iPods...

Reaction score
...after the new models come out? I was walking by the display case at Walmart, and all the iPods (except the shuffles) were gone, including the display models. I'm assuming this happens at other retail outlets too? Where does all that stock of old models go?

Reaction score
I was at futureshop yesterday and all they had on their shelf are shuffles too... maybe they sold them all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Some of them get sent back to Apple in exchange for new stock. They use them to fill warranty items. Some of them go to 3rd party authorized sellers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
And what do Apple do with them? Scrap them or sell them as "Refurbs"?

Reaction score
Curries, which is an electrical retailer here in the UK, were selling off iPod surplus stock for half price! Nabbed myself a green 4gig nano, since I'm not keen on the look of the new nanos. And the iPod classic would have been my top purchase, but 80gig is a lot of space; I barely use 4gig.

Pleased as punch :) although probably if I'd waited longer, they would have reduced them even more but still a good deal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And what do Apple do with them? Scrap them or sell them as "Refurbs"?

I doubt they scrap them. It's more likely that they sell them to liquidators or use them as warranty replacements (as Baggss mentioned).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
My guess is there tear them down and re-use parts for other stff. But that's me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Crazy sales for employees?

I think I agree that most go to fill warrantee claims. I'm a little bummed, I just bought a 4g Nano for my wife 2 weeks ago, now they just came out with new ones. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.