Newbie Question

Reaction score
Hello-

I am a newbie to the world of Mac's so please forgive the novice questions.

1) What program can I use to edit mp3 or wav files? In the PC world, I used a program called CoolEdit Pro. Is there something similar for the Mac?

2) I have some .avi files that I downloaded on my PC that will not play on the Mac. They played in Windows Media on the PC but I would like to avoid loading Windows Media player on my MacBook Pro. Imovie does not recognize them as valid media/video files. Any recommendation on what I could use?

Thanks in advance,
Darin :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Hi there,

1) I have Audacity installed.

Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.

2) I use VLC for my video files.

VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

Good luck, and welcome to Mac-Forums!

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the quick and informative response. Quick follow up question. Will VLC allow me to convert the video into a format that IMovie and IDVD will recognize? or will I need another application or that?

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the quick and informative response. Quick follow up question. Will VLC allow me to convert the video into a format that IMovie and IDVD will recognize? or will I need another application or that?

VLC is just a media player. It doesn't have any conversion capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
05GT is correct, there is no conversion. It will just play your video files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I *think* QuickTime Pro will do this, but you need to purchase it. It is not a free item.

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken VLC does have encoding feature. It's going to take you a LONG time to do, but it does it fairy well... Well, at least on Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yeah. VLC has a stream exporting wizard. You can transcode stuff to and fro. Same with Quicktime, though quicktime is far better than VLC.

As for editing music, have you tried Garageband? Its more than capable of doing that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
garage band is not for editing .mp3s and stuff. it is for making your own music via microphone, or virtually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Who says you can't edit mp3s? Its just as capable. You can create mixes, and use cut, trim etc.... Its good enough for 'normal' use...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.