Apple's mouse control is terrible! Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
OK peoples,

I just bought a Logitech V270 Bluetooth notebook mouse for my Macbook. It is supported natively by OSX, which isn't necessarily a good thing, as there is very limited control over mouse response.

I've already tried steermouse (a few months ago, so the trial period is expired). Therefore, I haven't been able to try this mouse with the software. Are there any free alternatives to steermouse? I'd like to try one before I drop $20 on a license for something I've never even tried with this mouse.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK peoples,

I just bought a Logitech V270 Bluetooth notebook mouse for my Macbook. It is supported natively by OSX, which isn't necessarily a good thing, as there is very limited control over mouse response.

I've already tried steermouse (a few months ago, so the trial period is expired). Therefore, I haven't been able to try this mouse with the software. Are there any free alternatives to steermouse? I'd like to try one before I drop $20 on a license for something I've never even tried with this mouse.

I have the same exact mouse, but I purchased SteerMouse right away. I did have to tweak the settings to get it to "feel" right. Long-time Mac users probably won't notice the difference, but switching back and forth all day long between Windows and Mac OS, the difference was obvious. It felt like I was dragging the mouse through mud - but when I compensated, it would fly out of control.

The only other program I know of which is similar is USB Overdrive (also a pay-for program), but since the V270 is bluetooth, it won't work with that mouse. I think your best option is to just bite the bullet and go with Steermouse - well worth it, IMO.

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
I have the same exact mouse, but I purchased SteerMouse right away. I did have to tweak the settings to get it to "feel" right. Long-time Mac users probably won't notice the difference, but switching back and forth all day long between Windows and Mac OS, the difference was obvious. It felt like I was dragging the mouse through mud - but when I compensated, it would fly out of control.

The only other program I know of which is similar is USB Overdrive (also a pay-for program), but since the V270 is bluetooth, it won't work with that mouse. I think your best option is to just bite the bullet and go with Steermouse - well worth it, IMO.

I got home from work where I was using Windows all day. When I got home, I used the mouse on my Mac for all of 2 minutes before I became so frustrated that I dropped the $20 on steermouse. (which is really expensive for what it is, but what can you do...)

The responsiveness is better, but still not on par with Windows. I just can't believe how far behind this supposedly "superior" OS is when it comes to mouse control. I will say one thing though - I'm a huge fan of the customization options for the mouse. My MX500 for my PC has forward and back buttons, which I have become so used to that a 3 button mouse seemed like it would be difficult use. Well, I was able to program it so that scrolling the wheel up or down while depressing it at the same time functioned as both the back and forward buttons. This made me happy.

All in all, good stuff

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got home from work where I was using Windows all day. When I got home, I used the mouse on my Mac for all of 2 minutes before I became so frustrated that I dropped the $20 on steermouse. (which is really expensive for what it is, but what can you do...)

The responsiveness is better, but still not on par with Windows. I just can't believe how far behind this supposedly "superior" OS is when it comes to mouse control. I will say one thing though - I'm a huge fan of the customization options for the mouse. My MX500 for my PC has forward and back buttons, which I have become so used to that a 3 button mouse seemed like it would be difficult use. Well, I was able to program it so that scrolling the wheel up or down while depressing it at the same time functioned as both the back and forward buttons. This made me happy.

All in all, good stuff

I wouldn't say it's a question of superiority, it's just that the acceleration curve and sensitivity are different. Like I mentioned before, long time Mac users probably won't notice it, but if you jump back and forth (as I do), it's painfully obvious. My point is that just because a particular trait is "Mac-like" doesn't make it inferior - just different.

I did have to tweak the settings in Steermouse before I got it "just right". I have tracking speed set to 0.5 and sensitivity set to 300. I can no longer perceive the difference between Windows and my Mac (and I typically use my MacBook Pro at work, sitting on a desk next to my Windows machine).

I know it's irritating to have to spend $20 to get your mouse working the way you like it. Take solace in the fact that you didn't also make the mistake of buying USB Overdrive as I did! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Just checking... you have changed the mouse settings in system preferences, right? I hated using a mouse with OS X until I changed the scrolling and tracking speed settings!

Reaction score
can you just uninstall/reinstall it and continue using the trial? I purchased the key but it doesn't work so I just gave up on it since I can just reinstall every 30 days.

This is something apple should already include with the os.

Reaction score
As I had the opportunity to review a copy of the Steermouse software I personally think that with enough time and patience you can set your mouse to move exactly like in Windows. The customization options in Steermouse are pretty complete in my opinion.

kuchiki

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you just uninstall/reinstall it and continue using the trial? I purchased the key but it doesn't work so I just gave up on it since I can just reinstall every 30 days.

In a word, no.

Email the program's author about your problem. They are very responsive and should be able to get help you get your key registered.

Reaction score
I have another question about that (we can take this off line if you want since it's going off topic) why wouldn't the uninstall/reinstall work, I written some programs for windows and know that to prevent people from doing that, we do unholy things to the registry to keep track that a trial was installed. Is there something similar for os x?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have another question about that (we can take this off line if you want since it's going off topic) why wouldn't the uninstall/reinstall work, I written some programs for windows and know that to prevent people from doing that, we do unholy things to the registry to keep track that a trial was installed. Is there something similar for os x?

Yep. Otherwise, many people would do exactly what you're suggesting to avoid having to register the software.

Again, the author of Steermouse is very responsive. If you have paid for a key and you can't enter it, I would strongly recommend contacting the author so that he can help you.

If however, you're just trying to see if you can get away without having to register the program, you've come to the wrong place to ask that kind of question.

Reaction score
nope not trying to do that at all, i emailed the author and he gave me a replacement key.

but what i am trying to find out is what mechanism (windows uses the registry) is used to log the program. i'm new to the mac scene and I already want to start programming apps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope not trying to do that at all, i emailed the author and he gave me a replacement key.

but what i am trying to find out is what mechanism (windows uses the registry) is used to log the program. i'm new to the mac scene and I already want to start programming apps.

Well, you could just embed a file deep within the file system and hide it with a . before the name at the end of the trial period, and just check for the existence of that file each time the program runs.

Reaction score
oh ok, at lease thats better than using a registry but sorta kinda like the same deal windows does with uninstallers that leaves crap behind :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh ok, at lease thats better than using a registry but sorta kinda like the same deal windows does with uninstallers that leaves crap behind :)

Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to leave something behind to track whether or not the user has installed previously.

M

MacHeadCase

If you have purchased the key and it doesn't work, I would suggest you email the developer (they usually have a support or contact page) and they'll get back to you with a solution.

It would be a lot less trouble then trying to figure out a way to crack/use a demo over and over again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.