Bootcamp from ISO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I long ago lost my WinXP install disc. Thankfully, I did copy the disc image and wrotedown the serial number. It worked fine for Fusion, but I would like to create a BootCamp partition for windows for running games. In the BootCamp assistant, it says I need a CD or DVD with Windows. Will it be possible to istall XP from the ISO file or do I need to have it on a disc?

Thanks,
Damien

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I long ago lost my WinXP install disc. Thankfully, I did copy the disc image and wrotedown the serial number. It worked fine for Fusion, but I would like to create a BootCamp partition for windows for running games. In the BootCamp assistant, it says I need a CD or DVD with Windows. Will it be possible to istall XP from the ISO file or do I need to have it on a disc?

Thanks,
Damien

You need to have it in disc form because when you install Windows via Boot Camp, it literally shuts your machine down and then attempts to boot from the physical disc for installation. Fortunately, ISO can be easily burned to disc. I use Roxio's Toast to burn ISOs, but I think you might be able to do it with Disk Utility too. The only problem would be if the ISO wasn't created with the boot binaries and structure intact.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I burned the ISO file to a DVD and I've verified that it's on there. When I start BootCamp, it says it can't find the Disc. Please help.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I burned the ISO file to a DVD and I've verified that it's on there. When I start BootCamp, it says it can't find the Disc. Please help.

Thanks

XP never shipped on a DVD, so that might be part of it. Also, you don't want to burn the file as a standalone file on a disc. You need to actually use a utility that can extract an ISO and burn it as a complete disc with all the files contained therein.

I use Toast for this, but I think Disk Utility can do it too. See this tutorial.

Again, if the ISO wasn't created just the right way, the bootloader won't be present on the image. If that's the case, you need to remaster the ISO before you'll get a self-booting disc out of it. See this tutorial for details. Although it focuses on creating a slipstreamed disc, it also covers how to create an XP disc that is bootable.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's weird, because I did exactly what it says in toast help and it ended up being an iso file on the disc.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XP never shipped on a DVD, so that might be part of it. Also, you don't want to burn the file as a standalone file on a disc. You need to actually use a utility that can extract an ISO and burn it as a complete disc with all the files contained therein.

I use Toast for this, but I think Disk Utility can do it too. See this tutorial.

Again, if the ISO wasn't created just the right way, the bootloader won't be present on the image. If that's the case, you need to remaster the ISO before you'll get a self-booting disc out of it. See this tutorial for details. Although it focuses on creating a slipstreamed disc, it also covers how to create an XP disc that is bootable.

So is there any way I can do the second part in Mac? I tried the first thing, but it still doesn't detect it. I guess I need to make it into a self-booting disc. How is this done?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is there any way I can do the second part in Mac? I tried the first thing, but it still doesn't detect it. I guess I need to make it into a self-booting disc. How is this done?

You said you were using Toast. Did you actually try burning a CD with Toast? In Toast 8, you'll want to click 'Copy' and then 'Image file'. Open the image file and click the Record button. If the resulting disc doesn't work, then we know for sure that the ISO truly doesn't have all of the needed binaries to boot.

If that's the case, I think you're going to be out of luck unless you actually have a physical disc and a Windows machine to follow the tutorial with. Although I'm sure the same can be done on a Mac, all of the tutorials I've ever seen are geared toward Windows.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's fantastic..........lol

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it to work!!! What I had to do was make sure that the disk image was mounted and then actually use that as the source of the burn. *shrugs*

Thanks a lot for all you help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool beans. No problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I tried this, and it didn't work. I wasn't able to pick the ISO image. :(

What exactly is it that you tried? There's quite a bit of things mentioned here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.