making the switch, need some insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
Well, I’m thinking of doing the switch.

Currently on the t-mobile blackberry network, but am a bit enticed with the iphone due to the simplicity of the phone itself and not only that, being a die hard mac user.. it’ll just make life easier .

Anyway. I’m in North County San Diego and I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up as far as what the coverage may be like with att/cingular in this area. T-mobile’s been ok for quite some time, but I’m getting some dead spots.

I have a few questions. I love the wi-fi setup, but how is the email service?

I’m using a Gmail pop3 account, any problems?

Is there an AIM program in the works? Not so important, but it’s a nice feature.

Does the email poll every 5, 10, or 15 minutes? Is there any sort of push service offered (probably the only thing I’ll miss with the BB service).

Is it true that while on the EDGE network surfing the net, it’s going to re-direct my phone calls to voice mail?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, just thought I’d try and get some answers

Also, is there anything new in the works that’s being released that I should hold out for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To find out service in your area, check out the AT&T coverage map. But to be honest, the best thing to do would be to ask around amongst friends or coworkers who have AT&T and see what sort of reception they get in the area.

The iPhone can handle pretty much any POP3/IMAP email address you can throw at it, and has presets for Yahoo, Gmail, .Mac, and AOL. You can set it to autocheck every 15, 30, and 60 minutes, or you can do so manually. Only Yahoo accounts allow for push email.

There is no official iChat application for the iPhone as of right now, but there are strong indications that you might see one upon the release of Leopard. In the meantime, there are two or three third-party IM apps that do a pretty good job.

I haven't had the redirecting issue, so I can't say with any certainty whether or not that is the case.

There's really no point in waiting for any features unless there is a feature you really need but that the iPhone doesn't currently support. Just get it now and have fun with it. Plus, there are a ton of third party apps available that are ridiculously easy to install (I'm not kidding, it takes like 2 taps of your finger).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the info! If i was to go into the apple store to pick one up how do I setup my service? If I purchase one on apple.com I didnt see a way to setup cingular service either?

Is it possible to get the 59.99 900 minute plan, unlimited texts (to any carrier), and unlimited data? that'd be about a $99.00 plan correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
thanks for the info! If i was to go into the apple store to pick one up how do I setup my service? If I purchase one on apple.com I didnt see a way to setup cingular service either?

Is it possible to get the 59.99 900 minute plan, unlimited texts (to any carrier), and unlimited data? that'd be about a $99.00 plan correct?

I was able to get unlimited data plan(pre-existing Cingular customer/Rep)for 20.00 bucks w/ 200 text messages.It will give you choices as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Doesn't matter where you buy it. They just hand you the box then you go home and activate it through iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I MAY just keep my t-mobile service and unlock one of these beasts.

One thing I want to know though, will other apps work on the t-mobile network such as the few AIM programs now available?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.