Really Annoying Itunes problem - duplicating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
OK, I am new to a mac so bear with me please...

I have a music collection (stored in music). If I drag and drop the songs into itunes two really annoying things happen (which obviously never happened on a PC) which I want to turn off and don't know how.

Basically, all my songs are not in the itunes folder - this causes all my files to be duplicated to there. I did change my default music folder to "music" but it didn't seem to work.

Now the really really annoying thing which has driven me nuts, is since I imported the files into itunes - all of my music has been created in new folders for each artist (for example, if I have a compilation album all the individual tracks now have seperate folders, not stored in one folder like before). How do I stop this, it's messing with my music collection!

Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Click on iTunes in the toolbar. Select Preferences. Go to the tab that says Advanced and uncheck the options that say "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
That has fixed it, Kudos!
Thanks man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
oh sweet, I was wondering what I could do to make it not duplicate songs. thanks a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.