Tips and tricks for new users

Reaction score
Well i thought that it would be useful to make a list of everyones little tips and tricks that may save anyone time for an existing task they do, or maybe tips which will help people learn new ways to use their apple!

Mine: I dont really have any, im a bit of a mac nub! :p

The only one i have is dont go back to windows? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
use the program "quicksilver" to quickly find and launch applications that are not on the dock.

activate right click and double finger tapping.

get into the habit of dragging all your programs into the applications folder.

Make your dock quite small so you get more screen space

use Kismac or iStumbler to find wireless networks when your out and about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
Thank you soo much!! I have learned so much from you guys. Can't wait to get my iMac next month.

Penny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And one thing I've nearnt is to ask every question you have here before you even think of going to see a genius bar. Or the like. Cause in my opinion here is just like Apple. great service, great knowledge of everything Apple and a nice place to be.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the8thark is absolutely correct.

i had a superdrive issue on my macbook. and this forum allowed me to exhaust every possible option before bringing it to the apple store. when i got to the genius bar, i had a printout of the thread with the troubleshooting we did. i read off all the major points and brought a few cds to try.

needless to say, my genius was seriously impressed. he only had to do a couple quick checks to agree with our assessment. within a couple days i had my macbook back with a new superdrive inside.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.