My first Mac, a Performa 5200CD model Won't Boot

M

Matt

This is my first Mac, and I worked HARD to pay the debt of getting this machine. I got it home, set it up, when I turned in on at the back, nothing happened. Is there another switch besides the switch above the power inlet for the Performa??? I used a standard PC power lead, or does it need the genuine Apple lead to supply power???

Thankyou for your replies in advance

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
It is an OLD Mac...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Matt said:
I found out what the problem is, thanks to anyone that helped !

Okay, what was the solution to your problem. This will help the next person that may have the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
rman said:
Okay, what was the solution to your problem. This will help the next person that may have the same problem.

I would imagine he didn't press the "Startup/Shutdown" (I don't know the official name) key on the keyboard. On the older Macs, it's shaped as bit like this: <|

OP
I

iSheep

Absolute Zero said:
That's oooooold.

Show me a picture!

Google?

Fine.

Ppc5320.jpg

It's got a floppy disc drive! ARRGHH!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
iSheep said:
That's oooooold.

Show me a picture!

Google?

Fine.

Ppc5320.jpg

It's got a floppy disc drive! ARRGHH!

Nothing wrong with older Macs, especially if you're on a tight budget as the original poster seems to be. I happen to love all the older Macs :D I just recently picked up a Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One for, and it's great. Oh and mine has a floppy drive and a Zip drive. ;)

OP
M

Matt

I had to work at this persons house to get it. Padwan awnsered the prob: Since I never turned on a Mac before, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD TO TURN IT ON BY THE KEYBOARD :eek:!!! It was built AUGUST 1995. It and has a CD-ROM. Look, I know it's old, but I can't afford a newer macintosh, and wasn't prepared to pay hundreds of bucks for an apple, since I had used one for 2 minutes (to try and shut it down!!!).

It has either a 500MB HDD or a 1GIG one, I don't know.

Has a REALLY low 8MB OF RAM, but CAN be maxed .out to 64MB OF RAM

Has a 603 microprocessor

REALLY GOOD Sterio Speakers

It IS old, but I am happy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The beige G3 will run 10.2.8 and older, everything else older cannot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iSheep said:
:D Very true.

Alright, stupid question of the year: can older Macs run OS X?

I just installed Jaguar on my G3 AIO, and it runs surprisingly well with 256 MB of RAM. However, I'm going to be reinstalling 9.1, because there are a couple of things that I don't like about OS X on this machine. One is the fact that it doesn't support the floppy & Zip drives, nor the internal microphone & external volume control. The other (and this is confirmed by other users on Apple's support site), is that the display settings are not saved when the machine is shut down, so the brightness is completely turned down on every restart.

It's hard to explain, and it's not a speed issue, but the machine just feels more "right" running the more contemporary OS 9, so that's how I'm going to keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how ANYONE can stand 9... personally I prefer Windows over OS 9.

However, in your case... 9 would be logical.

OP
M

Matt

OK, the highest OS my machine can handle is 9.1, so, if I maxed out the RAM (64MB OF RAM), do you think it might just handle 9.1???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Matt said:
OK, the highest OS my machine can handle is 9.1, so, if I maxed out the RAM (64MB OF RAM), do you think it might just handle 9.1???

It will run 9.1 (according to various sources, including Apple), but in the interest of performance, I would probably stick with 8.1. In either case, upgrading to the 64 MB is definitely a good idea, and should be top on your list of upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.