Question about previously opened items in dock?

Reaction score
Ok.. no biggie here, but kind of an annoying thing that I can't figure out.. Say I open a program up from my dock (for some reason this problem seems to happen more with non apple software) use it, then hit the red button to close it back down when I'm done. Now looking at my dock, there is a black triangle under the icon for the program.. So when I need the program again, I try to open it up, but it won't open! Now I have to click the program until the menu comes up, choose exit, wait for the black triangle to go away, then open it again... Obviously I don't understand the logic that apple uses.. am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian

I think he knows that.

The problem it seems that he is having is that after you close a window (not the program itself), the program won't open a new window when you click the icon again.

I've had this happen to me before. I think you can just go to view in the menu and open a new window. Either that or File > new (I think).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
not all programs open new widows when you close the one you were working with, which is probably why he is not having the problem with apple applications because apple aplications open a window when you click on a window-less application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Usually Cmd+N (while in that specific app) will open a new window,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.