Is it possible to increase bandwith through a Netgear Wpn824?

Reaction score
I'm very new to routers. I just set up a Netgear Wpn824 in my apartment and it works fine. The thing is that my internet is sooo slow. My current bandwidth is like 67.6 kb. I am the only one on my router. Is there anything I can do to increase the bandwidth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Are there a lot of other wireless networks in your area? It could be due to interference.. try changing the wireless channel you're on until the speed increases.

Also, was the internet connection fast right before you connected the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
Well, something is wrong. It should be at least 54 Mbps in my view. Have you put your router near an outside wall? Is it obstructed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Well, something is wrong. It should be at least 54 Mbps in my view. Have you put your router near an outside wall? Is it obstructed?

Uhm nooo. Nowhere near 54Mbps, that's its maximum is it not? But your internet connection will be nowhere near as fast as that.

If possible plug your connection straight into your computer and compare the speed to the speed you get over the wireless connection, that will determine if the problem is your ISP or your router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Uhm nooo. Nowhere near 54Mbps, that's its maximum is it not? But your internet connection will be nowhere near as fast as that.

If possible plug your connection straight into your computer and compare the speed to the speed you get over the wireless connection, that will determine if the problem is your ISP or your router.

Correct. 54Mbps is the maximum possible speed, under real world conditions, you'll probably see something like half. However, seeing as most broadband connections are less than 10Mb, you should still be able to use your broadband connection to its fullest extent over wireless.

I would also agree that this seems like an interference issue. Also, if your wireless network is not secured, it's very likely that others are connected and using it.

I've also seen situations where on secured wireless networks, maximum bandwidth is not achieved unless you're using WPA or WPA2. See the Wireless Networking FAQ linked in my signature. That should get you started to ensuring your network is optimized.

I also would echo Starky's suggestion that you make a wired connection to your router and test to isolate the problem to wireless connectivity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.