Help - MBP keeps overpowering my stereo receiver -- and is really quiet

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Macbook Pro (15/2.4/2GB/160GB, running 10.4.10) keeps blowing out my stereo receiver, even though I'm playing it at a relatively low volume level.

First, I connected the MBP to a Sony receiver using an analog mini-to-RCA cable. Even though the volume wasn't all that high, the Sony receiver blew a fuse, which is going to cost me money to replace.

So I bought a Yamaha receiver, and this time I connected the MBP using an Optical cable. Fortunately, the Yamaha has a better over ride feature that prevents it from blowing a fuse, because whenever I turn up the volume even a little bit, the MBP overloads the receiver, causing it to simply turn off.

After doing a lot of reading, I have learned that OS X does not allow me to change the volume output of a digital source, so I guess it's not possible for me to turn it down.

But surely there's a way for me to connect my MBP to my stereo and be able to play it at a reasonable volume, right? If so, please provide me with the details.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am not sure what kind of receivers you are using. I have my Mac Pro hooked up to a Sony receiver. It's an 800w receiver that comes with the $200 5.1 home theatre set sold at Best Buy. The speakers aren't the highest quality so I have everything at a decent to high level.
I had itunes set at volume limiter, maybe you could try that. I had to turn it off my my computer because it was compromising the sound quality (pretty badly actually).
But I've hooked my stereo to a AMD machine I built many years ago, a G3 iMac, a video iPod, an Intel Macbook and iMac and have had no issues.
Is there anything else you can test?
I also use the mini to RCA adapter. It's something I picked up at Radio Shack for $5.
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I thought I would give it a test to see if i could get my receiver to shut off. I assume my neighbor didn't like it though (seeing the back of my sub is against the wall we share and it's 10pm). :)
I turned the iTunes volume to max, the computer's volume to max, my receiver's volume to max and flipped on "Boom" by System of a Down. I almost blew out my ears but that's about it.
-Peace

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. After more testing, it appears there is some faulty wiring that's causing the issue. I don't yet know for sure that my suspicion is correct, but for now, that's my best guess. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Reaction score
I was reluctant to mention it, as it seems so simple and non-technical, but when my JVC (6 years old) did the same thing, I decided it must be the age of the receiver, and updated to a Panasonic (a real beauty) and...back to normal. Then it happened again with the Panasonic.
Of course, in changing over the equipment, the wiring to the speakers was disconnected/reconnected and so the fault was "rectified". It started happening again, because in housekeeping, the small central speaker of my 5:1 was placed back inverted, so that the two wires now crossed over and touched, shorting out the ampifier.
So definitely check the wiring into each of the speakers, and please, when you track down the problem, let us all know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I think you are more likely to find an error with wiring or something similar then you are to find the error lies with your mac.

My mac has had its output connected to many receivers in studio settings and home settings and i've NEVER once got even NEAR the threshold of these things before sound quality begins to distort (Thats when you know your overdriving the preamp of your receiver)

Id check (as its already been suggested) the speaker connections, make sure none of the wires are touching and also check the socket (on the wall) that the receiver is actually connected to :)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.