• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Alcohol Tolerances

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Hello all, I was wondering if any one out there knew any information on this topic. I tired searching the net for info on this topic, but the only thing I could find did not seem very reliable. Anyway, I know since I started drinking that my tolerance has increased from the first time until now, about the 5000th time. Anyway, my roomate got a DUI and said that in his classes he learned that tolerance, once gained, is never lost. I was just wondering how true that statement is because I always here people saying "oh i havent drank in a month, im gonna get drunk so fast." Anyone know? discuss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Tolerance is essentially your body adjusting to a foreign chemical introduced to your body. The more you have it, the higher the threshold becomes for you to feel its intended affect. Think of cigarette smokers needing to smoke more often to get the same "high" they got when they first started smoking.

If you build up a tolerance to alcohol, and then stop drinking for a couple of months, your body's tolerance will go back down. Granted, it may not go back to your pre-alcohol days for quite some time, but the point is that it does go down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
my roomate got a DUI and said that in his classes he learned that tolerance, once gained, is never lost.
That has got to be the single most inane statement I have ever heard. And to find out that they are saying it in a class for DUI offenders is even stupider. Why they would even think to mention or promote that idea of "increased tolerance" to people who have obviously exceeded any tolerance level they had is beyond me.
I can see at least a small number of repeat offenders coming from that class now because the very program that was intended to steer them away from the thought of driving drunk will only "challenge" them to attempt to raise their tolerance. Then they will think that they can drink more and still drive and somehow see it as being safer because of increased tolerance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Oh yea, mine went down significantly after college. I went from drinking heavily (8-10 shots) one night a week to once a month. Granted I lost weight from not eating college food all day but I could drink that much and still be decent but once I graduated and drank less, I was blacking out or atleast puking it back up at around 5 shots.
Not that it bothers me, I don't mind spending less on alcohol nor do I mind puking when drunk, I prefer it actually. I enjoy being drunk after I puke. lol
But, yea, I agree, that class sounds like a bad idea. Not that drunk driving is an intelligent idea and am glad to say I never have.
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 shots and you were puking? Dude, that's just sad ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
8 shots and you were puking? Dude, that's just sad ;P

I assume you are being Mr. Sarcasim. 8 shots was nothing in college. But I was about 155lbs then. When I stopped drinking at was at 135lbs, 5 was too many. I used to laugh at the lightweights, now I am one of them.
-Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I thought you meant you would start puking at 8-10 shots. Then again, I have a bunch of friends who pass out around that number, which makes me lonely since I can keep going till 15 or 16 (I've actually never tried going above, I should see how far I can go before passing out)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Oh, I thought you meant you would start puking at 8-10 shots. Then again, I have a bunch of friends who pass out around that number, which makes me lonely since I can keep going till 15 or 16 (I've actually never tried going above, I should see how far I can go before passing out)

Kash... lets go for it bro. I'll be in NYC/NJ first weekend of October to Celebrate my 25th B-day... Let me just say there will be a lot of Drinking ;D

BUT I won't be driving... thats what a Cab is there for :D

I myself have a very high alcohol tolerance. I always said its because I am a big guy, but even after I lost a 100 Ib I had the same tolerance. I usually won't even get a good buzz till may be the 8th Drink, and my drink is usually a big mix of (you guessed right!) Captain and Coke.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That has got to be the single most inane statement I have ever heard. And to find out that they are saying it in a class for DUI offenders is even stupider. Why they would even think to mention or promote that idea of "increased tolerance" to people who have obviously exceeded any tolerance level they had is beyond me.
I can see at least a small number of repeat offenders coming from that class now because the very program that was intended to steer them away from the thought of driving drunk will only "challenge" them to attempt to raise their tolerance. Then they will think that they can drink more and still drive and somehow see it as being safer because of increased tolerance.

See, this was a class of mostly younger people (he was actually only 20 when he got it, if he would have been 21 he would have been fine) and I think this statement was sort of meant to scare kids away from drinking alot at a young age. That is one of the reasons I thought it was real. eh, at least you can lose tollerance eventually! Good news.

Anyway, unfortunately college has ruined me. Before college, in my illegal days i could drink a 6pack and be crushed, now i could drink 13-15 beers in a few hours and be fine (not to drive, but still carry on a conversation). I would say to get to the point of not remebering the night I would have to drink 20+ beers. Which sucks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Tolerance is essentially your body adjusting to a foreign chemical introduced to your body. The more you have it, the higher the threshold becomes for you to feel its intended affect. Think of cigarette smokers needing to smoke more often to get the same "high" they got when they first started smoking.

If you build up a tolerance to alcohol, and then stop drinking for a couple of months, your body's tolerance will go back down. Granted, it may not go back to your pre-alcohol days for quite some time, but the point is that it does go down.
This is the best definition for tolerance that I have seen, good job Kash. Your buddy got a DUI because his blood alcohol level was above the legal limit to be driving. Tolerance is not a factor in this, you can have a low tolerance be below the legal limit in blood alcohol content but you may feel drunk. Same for for the opposite, he may not of felt drunk because he has a high tolerance but his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit. If you want more info let me know, I have had to take all kinds of classes about DUI enforcement as a police officer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
See, this was a class of mostly younger people
That just makes it even MORE idiotic. Younger people are statistically more likely to test their tolerance levels and try to raise it.
Telling them that their tolerance levels will never go down is a completely irresponsible thing to do. It implies that tolerance will only go up, thereby allowing them to drink even more and still be 'safe'.
Sounds like those teaching the course need to be taught a few things themselves.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the best definition for tolerance that I have seen, good job Kash. Your buddy got a DUI because his blood alcohol level was above the legal limit to be driving. Tolerance is not a factor in this, you can have a low tolerance be below the legal limit in blood alcohol content but you may feel drunk. Same for for the opposite, he may not of felt drunk because he has a high tolerance but his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit. If you want more info let me know, I have had to take all kinds of classes about DUI enforcement as a police officer.

Yes, I understand that, but I was just saying that during college parties always saying that they havent drank in __(insert any amount of time) so they got so drunk so fast, but after taking classes, my roomate said that this saying is irrelevant and its just people saying that because they told him that once tolerance is gained, it will never go away... (yes, maybe not the smartest thing to tell younger people as has already been established), but what I was trying to find out was if thats a true statement or a lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Personal experience: I used to be able to drink a fifth and a half of vodka in High School, joined the military after 9 weeks of basic training I could only handle about 6 shots of vodka so yes my tolerance went down. Now I drink Hennessy and cokes, and don't get buzzed until the 10th drink so my tolerance has increased. So to answer the question, your tolerance to alcohol will go up or down based on how many times you drink in a set time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Yes, I understand that, but I was just saying that during college parties always saying that they havent drank in __(insert any amount of time) so they got so drunk so fast, but after taking classes, my roomate said that this saying is irrelevant and its just people saying that because they told him that once tolerance is gained, it will never go away... (yes, maybe not the smartest thing to tell younger people as has already been established), but what I was trying to find out was if thats a true statement or a lie.

This is just my opinion but I think that your tolerence will fluctuate some if you do not do something in a while. As for how much it would fluctuate I guess it just depends on the person. Of course some of this may be mental, if you think you are going to get drunk quicker and off less alcohol you may very well trick yourself into acting and feeling more drunk.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ah that might be a bad idea, alcohol poisoning is no fun.:)

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is just my opinion but I think that your tolerence will fluctuate some if you do not do something in a while. As for how much it would fluctuate I guess it just depends on the person. Of course some of this may be mental, if you think you are going to get drunk quicker and off less alcohol you may very well trick yourself into acting and feeling more drunk.;D

Sort of reminds me of a few people I know... annoying hahah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
People who drink way too much can actually get reverse tolerance, where drinking very little will get you incredibly drunk.

But I don't think its very common...

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People who drink way too much can actually get reverse tolerance, where drinking very little will get you incredibly drunk.

But I don't think its very common...

i would LOVE for that to happen to me, sort of... not really the drink WAY to much part, but the reverse tolerance part. Going to the bar and taking three shots and a beer would be a great night on the wallet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Its more like 1 shot that would do it. If it happens to you, it pretty much means your liver is non-existent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
or you can just drink responsibly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.