iPod: mac and Win compatibility

M

marthpodi

Hi everyone, new user here. I've been using PCs for quite some time now and am well versed with their uses. I've decided to get a laptop for college use and went with a 12 in. powerbook instead of the PC laptop. I also have a 10 GB iPod that I've been using for the last year with my PC.

My question:

Can I use my iPod with both the PC and Pbook to: A. transfer files between the two and B. update music on the iPod with mp3s from both the powerbook and the PC.

TIA for the help,
marthpodi

OP
T

Tangerine

Yes. This can be done by simply setting your ipod to be manually updated in the ipod settings in itunes.

OP
M

marthpodi

huh?

So I'd have to manually update the iPod every time I went from PC to mac? I don't get it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iPods are automatically set to update your music so it is just an exact copy of the iTunes library. Unless you have the exact same libraries it will erase all the other songs that don't match. Set it to do it manually and you just drag over the songs you want and it doesnt erase anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
So wait....I'm confused. If I already have an iPod that I've been using with one computer and hook it up to a new computer, do all the songs automatically disappear, or is there a way around this? Stupid iTunes won't let you disable the "Auto-sync" feature unless you have an iPod plugged in. Can you simply import songs from the iPod and add them to your library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can plug in the iPod and just cancel the automatic update as soon as it pops up and it won't erase all of the songs..Then set the music management to manual and you can manually add and delete songs on all the computers you connect to

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
That's good to know....but if hypothetically, someone had been using an iPod with a PC, switched to a Mac, and wanted to add the songs already on his iPod to his Mac, how would he do this? :alien: :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no actual support for removing songs off the iPod to the mac/pc but if you take a look at

www.ipodlounge.com

You can find the utilities necessary for this

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.