Keep getting beachball in Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've been getting this a lot lately. The "beachball" will randomly show up for no apparent reason and lock up Safari for about 30 seconds.

Is there any cause of this that I can fix? It's really annoying, but I prefer to use Safari.

M

MacHeadCase

Do you empty Safari's cache sometimes? I find it helps to keep it fast and alert...

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think I've ever actually done that before. Hopefully it will be better now. Thanks MHC!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, happens to me too from time to time. empty the cache - don't even have to quit safari and you're back in business.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Arg! It's still coming up. I don't know, maybe I can completely reinstall Safari.

M

MacHeadCase

Safari 2, yes? Not the Safari 3 beta?

Ok so... If you have MainMenu, run the Clean -> Clear Browser History and while you're at it, clean the Font caches, your User Cache and do a Deep clean of the system's cache (all in the Cleaning section). You'll have to restart after this so don't worry if you find the startup is a bit slower than usual, the system is rebuilding its cache from scratch. You might be asked when launching Applications by clicking of files "Are you sure you want to use the Application «X» for the first time" that's because the system has no history of what went on and it could be an annoying security feature, I dunno.

If after all that, if you still experience problems, you might want to reset Safari, then. But beware that resetting Safari:

- clears history list
- empties the cache
- clears the Downloads window
- removes all cookies
- removes any saved user names, passwords or other AutoFill data
- clears Google search entries

Good luck!

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the great advice again! I'll have to try that out later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.