Is this possible?

M

menace3054

Im not too familiar with mac's yet, but i had a question. my friend who is known for not always being too truthful, told me that you can designate more memory to certain programs. is that true? i always assumed that a program will use as much memory as it needs, as long as that memory is available. thanks for the help

OP
K

knemonic

menace3054 said:
Im not too familiar with mac's yet, but i had a question. my friend who is known for not always being too truthful, told me that you can designate more memory to certain programs. is that true? i always assumed that a program will use as much memory as it needs, as long as that memory is available. thanks for the help

i beleive that is a feature only in os 9. i beleive you can do it in os x, but i have never had a need since osx does a very good job of memory management. my powermac has 512 and my main pc has 1 gig, and my powermac always ran better than anything i did on my pc, i am actually waiting for 512 more on my mac right now, i cant wait!!!

i would imagine there are some big mac gurus on here though that will be able to answer your question more specificallys though.

later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah with OS 9 and down you could specify how much RAM each program used.. it was a pain in the butt :( Now with OS X its' memory management is really great so you do not need to do anything like that, which is much better and much less of a hassle :)

OP
M

MoltenLava

I concur with the rest. Mac OS 9 and Windows 3.1 was the last major OS that required user intervention in memory management. All modern OS does not allow such thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.