Problem with Permissions Repairs...

M

menace3054

Ive been using System Optimizer X for my HD maintainence.. Under that program, ive been repairing permissons. when i am done, i restart my HD, and then when my computer starts up, its kinda slow.. so then i run the Disk Utility under the System Utilities, and it finds like 4 or 5 problems with permissions. so my question is, which program is fixing things right? the computer's one, or the System Optimizer. Ive had similar problems with mac janitor and onyx

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When it comes to system permissions, I only use Apple's disk utility. As for MacJanitor I use it for rolling the log files.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Repairing file permission is not that big of a deal. Incorrect permission can lead to application errors in extreme cases, but in general it's not going to slow down your computer. It's a myth. It's not something you have to do every morning. Once in a while, after major installation of software or OS upgrade, or after improper shutdown of the computer would be sufficient.

The reason disk utility find more erraneous permission is probably caused at the reboot when the applications shutdown they probably didn't clean up data files correctly. If you see repeated fix of files in the same directory, or if the same file keeps get corrupted, you might want to uninstall or reinstall the application that uses the corrupted file. Maybe the application is buggy. Maybe the application has not been installed correctly.

In any case, as long as the files with wrong permission are not system files, it doesn't really harm the system. Don't be too obsessed with permission repairs. Relax, and enjoy your computer more.

Daily/Weekly/Monthly cronjob is another issue. If you don't run the cron jobs, you WILL see slowdown in your system. You should run the cron jobs through Onyx or MacJanitor on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed - manual crons

OP
J

Joeytpg

ok......now that we're in this subect........i have a question tho......

i downloaded MacJanitor the other day, and i ran the "daily/weekly/monthly icon................so my question is this........how should i use the Macjanitor thing?.....i havve to open it up everyday and run the "daily" icon, and the weekly icon Every week and so on ?...........

can someone explain that to me please.

And also i Repaired Permissions too........but how many times should i do this?.....is this a weekly task?...or a monthly task?...........is it only for trouble solving?

thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is how I see it. Repairing permissions I only do before and after installing any software on the system disk. You don't have to run it all the time.

The daily/weekly/monthly tasks, are used in rolling of system log files. I don't run all the time since I have a large system disk partition. I do run them when ever I think about it. Since we are taling about, I will most likely run them all.

When it comes to trouble shooting, running repair permissions helps in some cases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.