Opinions on new Mini please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I have an iMac 17 and quite happy with it (except for that darn Mighty Mouse) but I would like to buy a second Mac and the "new and improved" Mini looks like an interesting buy.

I dislike notebooks with a passion, travel a lot to third-world countries, always take my computer along and I'm always afraid that my iMac will eventually get damaged (baggage handlers are a little on the rough side, especially in Central and South America). The mini would fit nicely in my carry on bag and a used monitor can be bought for cheap anywhere I go.

According to the specs, it seems to have everything that the iMac has but without the screen, keyboard and mouse.

Any opinions?
Gene

D R

Reaction score
Yup, you are correct. A small little box with ram, hard drive, CD/DVD capabilities.

You supply a keyboard, mouse and monitor and you are ready to go.

D R

Reaction score
Sorry, you asked for opinions and I just stated facts...

I've got the previous generation Mini's and generally like it fine. I originally had 512meg ram and upgraded it to 2gig. The current come with 1gig, which is generally the recommended minimum for having an enjoyable experience in OSX.

Depending on your usage requirements, email, web browsing, document editing; the standard configuration will probably be fine. Throw in photo editing or movie editing and 2 gig is better from what I hear, but I don't have practical experience with this before and after the upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Again, sorry about my previous reply

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Sorry, you asked for opinions and I just stated facts...

I've got the previous generation Mini's and generally like it fine. I originally had 512meg ram and upgraded it to 2gig. The current come with 1gig, which is generally the recommended minimum for having an enjoyable experience in OSX.

Depending on your usage requirements, email, web browsing, document editing; the standard configuration will probably be fine. Throw in photo editing or movie editing and 2 gig is better from what I hear, but I don't have practical experience with this before and after the upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Again, sorry about my previous reply

Thanks for the reply and no need to apologize. LOL!

I think I'll go for the full-blown mini because I want to get into movie editing.

Once again, thanks!
Andre

D R

Reaction score
I don't know if it matters or not, but there are 4 USB 2 ports and 1 firewire port, at least on mine. I ended up buying an Apple keyboard to use as well because it also included 2 usb ports. This made it handy to have a mouse plugged into the keyboard rather than run another cord through my desk area. Maybe this won't matter for your uses, but thought I would mention it.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if it matters or not, but there are 4 USB 2 ports and 1 firewire port, at least on mine. I ended up buying an Apple keyboard to use as well because it also included 2 usb ports. This made it handy to have a mouse plugged into the keyboard rather than run another cord through my desk area. Maybe this won't matter for your uses, but thought I would mention it.

The keyboard sounds like a good idea, it's the same setup I have on my iMac and appreciate the 2 USB ports on the keyboard. As far as a mouse goes, I'm shopping around for a rechargeable wireless (bluetooth), don't like the Mighty Mouse, have to clean the darn scroll ball too often.

Cheers,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you find a good bluetooth mouse?

No, I haven't yet, still confused over the issue. It's on my TODO list for this week.

Any recommendations?

Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Hey, just grab the DVI to RCA adapter and plug it into the TV at the hotel. :D

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies but how good is it for video editing (using Final Cut)?

Cheers,
Gene

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love my Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse. Gets decent battery life also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The mac mini (and others using GMA950) will NOT run the new Final Cut Studio 2. It will just not install. However, since for years people have been more than satisfied with Final Cut Studio 1 (or Final cut pro 5), it shouldn't be an issue. Only don't expect stellar performance in editing HD video.... Also, if possible, replace that slow HDD on the mini to something like at least 5400rpm or better 7200rpm...

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mac mini (and others using GMA950) will NOT run the new Final Cut Studio 2. It will just not install. However, since for years people have been more than satisfied with Final Cut Studio 1 (or Final cut pro 5), it shouldn't be an issue. Only don't expect stellar performance in editing HD video.... Also, if possible, replace that slow HDD on the mini to something like at least 5400rpm or better 7200rpm...

Thanks for the info, guess I'll stick to a new 20" iMac instead (and give my 17" iMac to my GF) and shop around for a hard-shell carrying case so the airport guys don't bash the heck out of it.

Then again, I'm quite confused over the new iMacs reviews (glossy screen, overheating, etc.). Makes me wonder if I should just keep my existing iMac and buy my GF the mini, she only surfs the web, e-mail and play very simple games (not graphics intensive such as Mah Jong, etc.).

Gene

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My G4 Mini came stock with a 5400 RPM Seagate Momentous drive. My Core Duo Mini has a Seagate Momentous 5400 RPM SATA drive ST98823AS.

The Intel Mini would be great for your usage while traveling. So small and works great.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Have you tried one of those iLugger cases? The ads keep popping up on the forums... seem to be tailor made for travelling with your iMac. But I guess they come at a price...

Reaction score
if you need a case for travel, try the pelican range. i think they are made in the US, are watertight and tough design. they come in loads of different sizes too, and doubtless they will be cheaper in the US than here in the UK. I think they sell them from marine outlet type stores.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried one of those iLugger cases? The ads keep popping up on the forums... seem to be tailor made for travelling with your iMac. But I guess they come at a price...

Thanks, I looked them up and they seem to be what I'm after.

Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.