Considering iTouch

Reaction score
I was really disapointed that the max capacity on the itouch is only 16g. I currently own and iPod without video that has a 20g capacity and was hoping to upgrade. My question is, eventhough you buy and iPod at lets say
'20g' capacity, that's not really what you get. It's really like 18g or less, there always seems to be a few gigs lost to software or something else. Does anyone know if this seem issue exist with the 16g iTouch? That is, when you buy it, is it really more like 13 gigs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I was really disapointed that the max capacity on the itouch is only 16g. I currently own and iPod without video that has a 20g capacity and was hoping to upgrade. My question is, eventhough you buy and iPod at lets say
'20g' capacity, that's not really what you get. It's really like 18g or less, there always seems to be a few gigs lost to software or something else. Does anyone know if this seem issue exist with the 16g iTouch? That is, when you buy it, is it really more like 13 gigs?

Well because the Touch has an OS with applications it HAS to take up some space... maybe 1gb ??? iPhone owners will have a better idea of just how much space the OS takes up.

Some of what you "lose" is because when a mfg sells you a certain capacity they are selling it as 1gb = 1000mb... In reality, hardware reads 1gb as 1024mb.

so 20gb in mfg. terms is 20,000mb

but 20,000mb as for as the hardware is concerned is only 19.5gb

Reaction score
I believe the 8GB iphone actually has 7.27 GB so I would assume that the 16 GB ipod touch would have about 14.5 GB that can actually be used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.