G4 Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Hey folks, im not to savvy about anything before tiger so could anyone offer up some advice here? Its a problem from work but other than me no one else really is up to speed about anything mac! thanks if you can help!

"I have a problem with my macintosh computer (G4 OS9.1).

It can't see the zip drive or the CD drive - I have checked that the
extensions are in the system folder.
Also it seems to have difficulty finding the start up disc. This is
still specified in the start up folder.

I think the problem has arisen because someone has used a removal
medium (probably non-mac) to down load data
and removed it by ejecting rather than moving to the trash,
as when this problem appeared the machine was trying to locate a
missing disc."

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
bump! anyone got any ideas?

M

MacHeadCase

Well it's been such a long time ago that I used OS 9... other than rebuilding the desktop I really can't suggest anything else. There might be other things to do on top of that, maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Reaction score
Under System 9 you don't need the CD extension if you boot with a Mac formatted CD in the drive. So, pop in a known good CD and restart. If it doesn't show up, your CD drive is most likely dead. Ditto for the Zip.

However, if both the Zip and the CD seem dead there could be a problem with the the bus they are on. That model has two, one for the boot drive, one for the Zip/CD. Diagnosing this depends on how much time and effort you want to deal with.
The problem is probably not related to non-Mac media or inappropriately removing media. That should have cleared after a restart.
Good luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
Thanks very much folks! we dont support OS9 so this is technically a favour for the person, also if its hardware im not allowed to fix it either, ill give what you said a try anyway and thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz (Aluminum)
rebuild desktop, zap pram... been some time since i've used 9... starting to forget the stuff I learned years ago. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.