Powerbook 15" Aluminum Memory Upgrade

J

JayJay

I am going to upgrade the memory in my powerbook. I stopped into the Apple store and the guy there told me that it was best to go with apple memory. He said that there I may run into problems with memory that isnt "apple" (but he also told me that it would be about $150-200 for a 256 chip). I wanted to know if anyone has used any other type of memory? And if they have have they had any trouble? Also where is the best palce to get it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I bought my memory from www.newegg.com (I am pretty sure it was Samsung OEM) and it worked with no problem at like half the cost

OP
K

kathleen

I just updated my 12" Powerbook with memory from crucial.com

The site has a great feature that will very easily find the right memory for your computer. I was completely in the dark as to how to go about installing it, but they are available 24/7 for tech support and with their instructions and help the installation was a breeze. I haven't had any problems with the memory. Apple products tend to be pretty overpriced, so if I were you I'd go through crucial.com or a similar website. You will get 512+mb for less than what you'd pay for 256 from Apple. I don't think you'll regret it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I second that; I've heard nothing but good things about Crucial's memory. They also have a replacement policy, if you do get a defective module. The Hardware Test CD that came with your system can be used to verify suspect memory.

Apple, needless to say, doesn't make memory itself. I've heard that it actually buys memory from Crucial (AKA Micron.)

OP
M

MoltenLava

You can't go wrong with any name brand memory modules, such as Samsung, Hynix, or Micron. Apple does not buy memory from Crucial, they buy direct from distributor or manufacturer, usually whatever is cheapest at given time. The ones I looked at came with Samsung and Hynix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Ignore the Apple guy's comment about theirs working "best". The thing is, different RAM uses different clock cycle timing, and one particular setting is ideal for Powerbooks.

If you buy from Crucial.com and use their memory finder thing, you'll get the exact timing and you'll have great RAM for half the price. I highly recommend buying from them.

OP
T

TylerMoney

do crucial...they're cheaper than apple..and have guarantee products...and know what you need for there to be no problems. I got corsair memmory..works like a charm...with a lifetime warranty/guarantee.

OP
J

JayJay

Thanks for all the advice but if I install it myself won't I nullify my warranty?

OP
N

nicholas

Yes you will, but it's so easy that anyone can do it. Paying $50 or so for someone doing what you could literally do in 5 minutes is a huge waste of dough. Just get some rubber latex gloves and you won't have to worry about static.

Oh, and like everyone above is saying, get Crucial. I've bought from them about 10 times in total now for 4 different Macs I've owned, and they're the best, hands down.

OP
I

iSheep

technologist said:
I second that; I've heard nothing but good things about Crucial's memory. They also have a replacement policy, if you do get a defective module. The Hardware Test CD that came with your system can be used to verify suspect memory.

Apple, needless to say, doesn't make memory itself. I've heard that it actually buys memory from Crucial (AKA Micron.)
Osiris22x said:
Ignore the Apple guy's comment about theirs working "best". The thing is, different RAM uses different clock cycle timing, and one particular setting is ideal for Powerbooks.

If you buy from Crucial.com and use their memory finder thing, you'll get the exact timing and you'll have great RAM for half the price. I highly recommend buying from them.
nicholas said:
Yes you will, but it's so easy that anyone can do it. Paying $50 or so for someone doing what you could literally do in 5 minutes is a huge waste of dough. Just get some rubber latex gloves and you won't have to worry about static.

Oh, and like everyone above is saying, get Crucial. I've bought from them about 10 times in total now for 4 different Macs I've owned, and they're the best, hands down.
adamburgess said:
Yeah. I've used Crucial in my G4, G5 and iBook. No probs.
So, Crucial are good then?

OP
L

lisu

I've just updated my 15" powerbook with Kingston memory. No probs. Also fitted myself.

OP
C

Cloudane

Another thumbs-up for Crucial. Don't believe what the Apple guy said, he just wants you to buy their massively overpriced memory :p

Crucial guarantee that if you buy memory by going through their "select your make/model of computer" route on the website, it will work.

Ordered mine yesterday afternoon and it came this morning via Special Delivery (UK) which is a very valuable postage service. No problems whatsoever :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.