Leopard Question

Reaction score
Hello all. I just bought a mini-mac about 1.5 months ago. It's got a gig ram, super drive, 80 gig hd, and dual 1.83 core processors. I bought it when tiger came out, and really want to stay current, so I'm considering getting Leopard when it is available.

I should make this clear but I grew up on Windows 3.1 all the way to XP and finally went with a mac. I know when you buy Microsoft's upgrade operating system from say, 2000 -> XP, it doesn't run as fast it could because usually Windows runs better after a fresh format. Does mac have this same problem where I'd get better performance out of my machine from formatting it then install leopard?

Also is there any discount to people who bought a mac within X amount of days of the Leopard release. I heard in article they were tossing this around. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
I actually haven't heard anything about a price consideration/rebate for Newer owners My iMac is only two weeks old (the new look) and While i was slightly disapointed Leopard wasn't available on them yet, it wasnt a huge deal.

As for formatting and installing leopard if you want a fresh start that's probably the way to do it, this ensures you're starting with a clean slate. Other than that I don't think leaving your current install on prior to installing Leopard will really impact the performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I've seen some Panther to Tiger upgrades go seamlessly with no performance drop. But in my case I will do a fresh install cause I did some 'questionable' stuff during my early mac days. Still runs without a hiccup a year and a half later....

You should be fine with "upgrade".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Selecting 'archive and install' or 'erase and install' will install a fresh copy of Leopard onto your machine, with neither option seeing any slowdown or problems after installation.

No need to format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I am too going to buy Leopard, I have iLife installed on my Mac. When i install Leopard as I will do the erase and install option, won't I loose it?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am too going to buy Leopard, I have iLife installed on my Mac. When i install Leopard as I will do the erase and install option, won't I loose it?
If you do an erase and install, on the applications that come with the OS will be installed. So you will have to re-install iLife and any other applications you installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Two. Just as the iMac, macbook and macbook pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i also plan to get leopard and do a fresh install. just to make sure, can i reinstall ilife and the other apps from my macbooks tiger disc onto the leopard install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Hello all. I just bought a mini-mac about 1.5 months ago. It's got a gig ram, super drive, 80 gig hd, and dual 1.83 core processors. I bought it when tiger came out, and really want to stay current, so I'm considering getting Leopard when it is available.

I should make this clear but I grew up on Windows 3.1 all the way to XP and finally went with a mac. I know when you buy Microsoft's upgrade operating system from say, 2000 -> XP, it doesn't run as fast it could because usually Windows runs better after a fresh format. Does mac have this same problem where I'd get better performance out of my machine from formatting it then install leopard?

Also is there any discount to people who bought a mac within X amount of days of the Leopard release. I heard in article they were tossing this around. Thanks guys.

I have TIGER running on all 5 of my macs from an emac 700 mhz to a mac mini 1.83 ghz with no problems. I have yet to notice the difference. I know many would beg to differ but just for myself and being a former windows user...apple kicks butt in the upgrade dept...No problems at all for mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Traditionally it has been 30 days, at least for all previous OSX updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.