iPhone - navigation software/bluetooth gps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I am on the edge of purchasing an iPhone and have a question about future capabilities.

Will the iPhone ever have the capability to function with a bluetooth gps receiver and run navigation software?

I know it's sounding like I want to turn this into a pda. Well I would. Something along the lines of a Treo, but a Treo that actually works with the great interface that the iPhone has.

That would be a dream for me. Right now I have a video iPod, a cell phone and a Garmin 3600 for the navigation. Would be nice to get it all into one package.

Even if it doesn't - getting it down to 2 devices for me is a step in the right direction.

Reaction score
Get the iphone, keep the garmin. I could see a bluetooth GPS receiver being able to function with the phone in the future, but with the Google maps that is on it, there isn't a function to use GPS. It doesn't work like google maps on a Treo or WM device. It works MUCH better than regular google maps and you won't be disappointed, though, it's not the google maps on PDA's. I came from a Cingular 8525 so i'm pretty familiar with what you are looking for. I also have a garmin etrex vista that i use for nav and i don't foresee anything in the iphone that will match that in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Actually they are planning built in GPS for the iPhone within the near future(2nd or 3rd quarter of 08)As i have read.Patience.That is all i can say.I just received my iPhone and coming from high end mobiles like Imate JASJAR ,HTC Advantage X7500,Nokia N93 just to name a few i see that it will be in bedded once the kinks are worked out.

Reaction score
sweet! Is it just going to have a receiver some sort of proprietary navigation software or will it be something like the HTC Kaiser (just the antenna)? Even if 2nd or 3rd quarter 08 is correct, that still too long to wait. Buy it now and enjoy it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.