Any fixes for heat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Okay so I'm getting a Macbook Pro that's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I usually use all of my laptops in well my lap. But after reading reviews from a lot of people on the burning hot bottom of the MBP I'm not so sure but thinking that I might want to get a desk to put my MBP on.

Is the heat unbearable?

Is their a hardware fix or software fix that I can use to lower the heat of the bottom a bit?

Any other suggestions other than just using it on a desk?

OP
milessthomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Thanks for the info grap3s0da!

Reaction score
Apple recommends to place your Macbook or Macbook Pro on a flat, hard surface such as a table. This allows proper air flow under and around the machine. They also refrain from calling them laptops, as they now refer to them as notebooks in order to prevent this confusion.

As it's quite normal for a notebook to get quite warm (sometimes hot, depending on the usage), getting smcFanControl would be a good idea to monitor and adjust as you see fit.

Heres the link:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Placing the machine flat on a table doesn't do anything for airflow under the machine... The bottom of the MBP is an integral part of the cooling system (intentionally or otherwise) and getting some airflow across it would help.

I consider the heat on the bottom unbearable, yes. It's ridiculous. At least the one in the Apple store was. Some seem to run significantly cooler than others.

There's three things you can do to help reduce/eliminate the problem:
  • smcFanControl, as the other posters have mentioned
  • A decent cooling pad (most of them are garbage, if you want a recommendation or two I can post some links
  • Apple uses an excessive amount of thermal compound on the chips in these machines. The amount on each chip should be smaller than a BB, and the amount they say to apply is somewhere between the size of a raisin and a grape- FAR too much. IF you have the time, patience, confidence and skill-AND are willing to risk having to fight Apple tooth and nail to get warranty coverage in the future, you can correct this problem for yourself. People have seen drops of 20 or 30*C in some cases.

Best thing to do is when you get the machine, see how hot it runs. Some of these machines don't seem to be affected by the thermal compound issue while others are-the stock temperature reports vary all over the map from about 65*C all the way up to 95*C. See where yours sits and go from there.

Also, if you didn't get the extended warranty, you still can, and you really, really, REALLY should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Like someone mentioned above, manufacturers are now transitioning the word "laptop" --> "notebook".

If you really want to go with a laptop without that much heat, you should take a look at the ThinkPads that are ultralight/portable. Those have a significant decrease in heat.

As far as the MBP, you won't have many options on decreasing the heat. You can increase your fan, like the others mentioned, but the fan sound might or might not annoy you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
...the stock temperature reports vary all over the map from about 65*C all the way up to 95*C. See where yours sits and go from there.

I can't believe how hot some MBPs run! I always run smc to display in farenheit, I just switched it to celsius and my computer runs around 45*C while on my lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Nor can I; sadly, it's not limited to the MBP. There are a LOT of notebooks out there that have serious heat issues that end up compromising reliability. It's a combination of economic pressures (the bean counters refusing to pay more than $4.01 per heatsink per computer, even if the solid copper one with 8mm heatpipes instead of 6mm that'll keep the processor at 38*C instead of 95*C only costs $5.24, and a demand for thinner, lighter, tighter packed machines.

This is the tradeoff. And personally, I think it sucks. But Dell, Apple, etc. don't really care what I think, so it's kinda irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but it's hard to understand why, if they can manufacture my MBP to run at 40-45*C, they can't make all of them run that cool...

Reaction score
If you are planning on using your laptop often on your lap I think a iLap (laptop stand) may be a good solution.
I only heard good things about it so far.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive
yeah I just got one and it doesn't run that hot. just run OS X, Vista runs a bit hotter and for some reason XP SP2 runs really hot. You also have to understand the discrete gfx card pumps heat out too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to clarify, is 65* to 95* the range for temps while doing simple stuff or is that for running cpu-intensive apps where both cores are pegged for long durations? Running Handbrake, both cores are at max and it's running 79*.

Reaction score
I seriously can recommend the Notebook Cooler manufactured by antec. It has a aluminum plate (which is always good) and a really silent fan...if you have it on the low setting it is barely hearable.
Just DON'T buy the iBreeze...that thing is super loud...I had two of them but returned both because it got so annoying (I think I will post some reviews soon on my blog). If you are looking for a fanless design XT stand looks very nice.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I had an Antec cooler. It fell apart. I'm also concerned that it could scratch the MBP.

There are two models right now that I'd recommend... the Vantec LapCool 2 or 3 (counted as one because they're basically identical) or the Thermaltake iXoft
LapCool 2 w/o USB hub
LapCool 2 w/USB hub
LapCool 3 w/o USB hub
Thermaltake iXoft in black
Thermaltake iXoft in white

The iXoft is my preference. I've got a LapCool 2 and I just picked up the iXoft, the iXoft is equally as effective if not better, and it's more convenient.

Just so you know, none of these things will have any significant impact on your CPU temp of my MBP is any indication; it's more to make the machine's case cooler and protect your lap.

Thundermoon: That's the temps running flat out, 100% CPU usage. My own 17" 2.4 that I just picked up has hit as high as 87*C. At some point I'll post a review of the machine, either here or elsewhere (in which case I'll link it here) and the heat issue is something I intend to discuss at length.

Reaction score
I know its an old thread...but

My MBP is always cool when I am just chatting or browsing the web. The only time it really heats up bad(and I mean **** bad) is when Im using YouTube. Its terrible; iChat also has the same effect. I have noticed that if I blow air into the vents with my mouth, it actually gets noticeably cooler. Is it bad that I blow air into there? Also, where can I find at what temp. my MBP is currently running at? Thanks.

Ashtraypro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
See this thread, but my advise is not to worry about it.
Macs get really hot viewing flash content of any type, as too with any video chat apps.
If it's not shutting down, which it's designed to do as a safety guard, then there's nothing to worry about.
Too many people running smc fan control or coconut battery worrying about their temps or batteries.
Just enjoy using your Mac, and if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
My 15" MBP normally runs at around 45C - 50C doing just normal stuff like web surfing, email, etc. However, when doing something like encoding a VOB file to MP4 to play on my ipod using Hadbrake, my CPU temps top out around 95 - 98. Haven't see it get to 100 yet but it gets pretty darn hot. I have the extended warranty so, I'm not really concerned about the thing burning up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.