Want to up-grade but have no idea. HELP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook PowerPCG3 Mavhine Speed:500Mhz Protocol V.90 Version:V2.400F5-V90. Build-in Memory 192MB.
Guys, I am a total newbie here. I mean ... I am new not only in this forum, but also in this Montréal city (coming from South-East Asia). Before I came here, I work in a ad. agency and carried iBook G3 from the office. Yes, I am Mac user. But I just "use" it without knowing anything about Mac (well, only simple thing ...;D). Then I quitte my job ... ofcourse had to send back my iBook to the office, then I bought second-hand but pretty good the same iBook and bring it with me to Canada. Psst it's not there on the list of Prefix above ... so I put OS 10.0 :D

The -later I found-- problem is my husband :* --who used to be PC user-- wants to do more graphic stuff and need more then my iBook can give (I only do simple thing with my iBook). This "new" iBook (G3, MacOs 9.2) has smaller memory than previous one, plus it has no toast (burner) and CD/DVD player. We consider to up-grad it in to Mac Os 10.

Any onecan help please with infos ... like: if my iBook can be up graded, and what we need to do so? Where to go to do that in economical way? :Smirk:

Now I just learn there are Mac Os 10.4 Tiger and a0.5 Leopard. Wich one is better for my iBook? And what is the difference between those two?

Thank you verymuch guys ... can not make it without your helps!!
Warm Regards (ggg ... cold here, even though it what you call summer ... :D )!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The first version of 10.0 was pretty rough and full of bugs. Things have got much better since.

OS 10.3 and 10.4 will work on your G3, although 10.4 requires a DVD drive. 10.5 (Leopard) comes out in October but will not run on the G3.

You'll have to look on ebay for 10.3 Panther, and 10.4 Tiger is £89 if you can get an external DVD drive.

You'd get more performance out of 10.3 and 10.4 (and be able to run 10.5 Leopard) if you had a G4 iBook though.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook PowerPCG3 Mavhine Speed:500Mhz Protocol V.90 Version:V2.400F5-V90. Build-in Memory 192MB.
Thanks, Alexis ...!!
Well, my little iBook doesn't have DVD player, but of course it has DVD-Rom driver. Is that what you mean?

Mmm ... and is it easy to install the system? I mean that MacOs 10.3 or 10.4? And what else I will need (just to run the iBook) to make it perfectly work? Coz I've never done it bymy self. It is sooo cheap to pay someone to do that for you in my country. Yeah ... I know, I was so spoiled, now I must learn so many things on computers and stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.