My friend wants to buy an iPhone and use it as an iPod Touch ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
My friend is in Vancouver, BC and wants to use an iPhone as a Touch until service is made available in Canada. Is this possible without hacking the phone? I've read that people in Toronto have hacked it for use with Rogers, would this be the only way to use it? My friend called Apple and was told that the iPhone will not run at all without activation. I can't believe the thing is a brick unless activated. Anyone got any info on this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
With the new SIM hacks, she should be able to use it with Rogers now. People are using it with T-Mobile without any problems (other than lack of visual voicemail of course)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can't use any of the iPhone's non-phone features out of the box without activation, but that doesn't mean you physically can't. There are several hacks out there to get the iPhone into thinking it's been activated and use the rest of the features.

Unfortunately, Apple has managed to disable quite a few of these "hacks" with its latest version of iTunes, version 7.4. If you're running an older version, then check out this page and download the program called iActivator. It's a really simple way to use the non-phone functions on the iPhone without having to activate through AT&T

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Thanks for the info everyone.

What's the incentive for Apple to prevent people from using an iPhone as an iPod? Why would they care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Probably has to do with Apple's contract with AT&T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
I don't see why you couldn't activate it and then cancel service right away. Not sure if they'd still sock you for activation fees, though. You could probably weasel out of that with the right set of circumstances (story).

I would think everything in "airplane mode" would still work, and wifi as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You will be fully reimbursed, even activation fees, if you cancel within 3 days. But I think next time you connect to your computer you'll get disabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.