MBP, esata and expresscard/34 slot

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and I have just ordered an external hard disk which will have an esata interface as well as USB 2.0.

I know that esata can be a lot faster than USB 2.0 but I remember reading (unfortunately I cannot find where I saw it) that the expresscard/34 slot in the MBP has a USB2.0 data interface rather than PCI Express.

Is this true? If so, presumably there would be little benefit in buying an esata expresscard to connect to my external drive rather than just using USB.

Am I correct in this or have I misunderstood something (which is perfectly likely)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
"1 lane" refers to the number of serial links in the connection. a 1 lane connection (expresscard, pci-e x1) has 1, a pci-e x2 slot has, 2, etc.

Each "lane" supports data transfer rates of 250MB/s and is bi-directional. Thus, an expresscard slot supports a maximum bandwidth of ~500MB/s, theoretically speaking. How close to that maximum it can actually get in the real world, I don't know offhand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.