Stupid Leopard Update Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
So this is my first mac. And so far I see alot of pros to upgrading to leopard. However I was wondering, if I do upgrade, will I have to reinstall all my programs, files, and whatnot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you do an Archive and Install, you'll have all of your stuff in place once the upgrade is complete (though obviously you should backup all of your files in case anything goes wrong). A clean install is the exact opposite, it wipes your drive before installing Leopard.

To be honest, the latter is perhaps the better method as you don't risk any leftover Tiger files slowing down your new Leopard system.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Hmm interesting. Thats what I thought. I'm still unsure wether or not to make the jump to leopard. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's gonna be great from what I've seen so far. You can count on me being one of the first to upgrade...to **** with all of the early adopter bugs ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I've read stories from plenty of people (myself included) who did Panther to Tiger upgrades without performing a clean install and didn't have any troubles.

Reaction score
I know a few people who have upgraded from 10.4 to a "higher version" ;) and had NO issues whatsoever.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Haha.

I like alot of the features in Leopard, such as Time Machine and backup. But I don't really have a need for spaces or stacking.

I'm also concerned if it'll run slower on my macbook. Tiger flys with 2GB of memory, I'm not sure if it would on Leopard. I'm also concerned if my applications would carry over and function properly.

I dont know, I'm very much on the fence, yet still excited. I'll probably end up going to the mac store and playing with it before I make a decision.

I'll walk up to a sales person and say:

Ok, this is the easiest sale you will ever have. I already want to buy this, just show me why I should :D

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Wow I'm stupid.

Awhile back ago I took my macbook to the Apple store and they asked me to remove virus barrier.

I did so but kinda quick because at the time I wasn't fully aware on how to remove an app entirely (they thought it was making my dock clear, it was clear dock). Anyway putting it back on was a pain because I had to hunt for the files and reinstall.

A clean install would mean I just install them again, as if it was the first time, since technically it is.

Upgrading just got ALOT easier. What would be the best way to retain my music do you think? Using senuti or copying via a HDD. Senuti I think is faster.

I am ALOT more excited now lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just plug my Macbook into my desktop that has close to a terabyte of hard drive space and drag all my files over. I plan to do the same when Leopard comes out and start with a fresh install :D

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Prepare for a switcher question.

Uh you dont have to install or anything? You can just drag like that and it'll work?

Or are you referring to just music? Because I can see that being no problem, but apps would be different I would imagine. I mean they have installers, serial numbers, and the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well yea, I mean stuff like music, photos, and documents. I save all of my dmg files, so I don't have to worry about finding all of the programs once I upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I'm also concerned if it'll run slower on my macbook. Tiger flys with 2GB of memory, I'm not sure if it would on Leopard. I'm also concerned if my applications would carry over and function properly.

Can't say what will happen with 10.5, but when I upgraded my Mini (the old G4 flavor) from 10.3 to 10.4, I actually saw a slight speed bump. One of the subsequent minor releases (10.4.4 maybe?) gave yet another slight performance boost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.