iPhone ran over! CRUNCH! Screen is smashed, what do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
Hey all. Its a sad day for my iPhone. This afternoon I was riding around on my scooter. My iPhone was attached to my arm and I was jamming to some tunes. Next thing I know, my iPhone falls off my arm. I did a U-Turn and by the time I got to it, someone had ran over it :(

What do I do? I had heard about applecare being offered eventually on the iPhones, but never really heard if that panned out. Is it covered under warranty. My second question, is being ran over something that will be covered? Or am I better off calling AT&T, getting insurance on it, and in a week saying it was stolen or something? HELPPPPPPP!!!!

Photo1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 ghz 24" iMac 2.4 ghz
you're better off getting insurance from at&t. I doubt Applecare will cover something like this.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, do they cover a drop and a break? essentially thats what happened... only it was dropped at a speed of 50 mph. theres a slight crease in the back of it which makes me think it was ran over. anybody else?

is there applecare on the iphone or is insurance covered with the steep $500 i paid for this baby? or is your "applecare" provided with insurance through AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You are probably out of luck. As MHC said, AppleCare doesn't cover accidents.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, my buddy that works at the apple store is telling me AT&T doesnt offer insurance on the iphones... is this true?

if so, thats ridiculous. what if i pop my sim card (assuming its not destroyed) in another AT&T phone, call and get insurance on my "iphone" and in a week, it is mysteriously stolen?

theres got to be a way for me to not get completly hosed out of $500 bucks.

M

MacHeadCase

What if you drove your scooter into a tree. Would the scooter manufacturer replace your broken up scooter, then?

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, but my insurance would. so the issue is, is there insurance offered for the iphone through AT&T? and if my scooter was stolen, it would be replaced as well.

M

MacHeadCase

Guess you'll have to see with them then. But since the damage is already done, how would they sign you up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Insurance fraud is illegal, and posting on a website with information showing you broke it, and then saying you want to lie about how it was broken is not only immoral, but illegal. Its funny that people get banned for arguing on this site, but discussing illegal activities gets people to give you advice on how to do it. I do not condone insurance fraud, nor do I have any sympathy for you. Things break, that is why even though the iphone is cool, its not practical for me because it is too fragile. Good luck, I hope you are able to fix it somehow, but I hope you do it in a legal way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
no, but my insurance would. so the issue is, is there insurance offered for the iphone through AT&T? and if my scooter was stolen, it would be replaced as well.
Call and ask AT&T about the insurance.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, i agree with what you have to say about insurance fraud. im just kind of at a loss for what to do. im not planning on doing anything illegal or stupid over a phone. thats not worth it if i were to be caught.

im just gonna have to call AT&T and see what they can do for me. if there really is no real insurance for this phone, besides my home owners insurance, im not sure ill be throwing a couple hundred bucks at another iphone. the fact that there might not be any insurance for something this expensive is crazy. its a cell phone, and to my knowledge, this may be the only phone that doesnt offer insurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Based on your insurance company, your homeowners insurance may cover it if you have an electronics coverage plan, or computer coverage plan. My renters insurance covered my laptop when its motherboard died, but that was a manufacturers defect, so just make sure you look into it and avoid anything illegal.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
because this happened while on an automobile, would my auto insurance cover it? or do i need to call homeowners?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ok, i agree with what you have to say about insurance fraud. im just kind of at a loss for what to do.
The only thing you can do is count your losses and chalk it up to what it is, an unfortunate accident.

Reaction score
sadly they dont offer protection plans, either from apple, or from att. id assume the reason would be people with situations like you. they make more money that way. sorry.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright. thanks for the help everyone. first im going to call my car insurance company and see what they can do for me. if they cant do anything for me, ill call my homeowners insurance. if still no luck, ill have to buck up and buy a new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
not sure who your insurance company is, but my insurance company offers computer and electronic coverage for about 20 a month for 40000 worth of coverage with no deductible. I have it and have used it on 2 computers, and a stereo. It might be worth getting for you because of all the electronics/computers you have. Check with your insurance company first though. I have USAA for insurance, and love them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.