iPhone ran over! CRUNCH! Screen is smashed, what do I do?

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ill check that out... i have progressive for my scooter as it was way cheaper than USAA (ive got them on my car). a friend of mine had an ipod stolen out of his car, and they sent him a new one. this is a little different, but still, its worth a try.

just curious, did you have to pay any kind of deductible when claiming your computers and stereo? i obviously am not going to pay a 500 dollar deductible on a phone i can get new for $299 now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz CD 2 GB RAM, 23" Samsung HDTV/Monitor , JBL Creature II, Apple Xbox 360,
sell ur ran over iphone to someone i am sure someone might be interested in it, if it was chap enough i would buy it just to mess with it lol also you can hopefully if ur battery still works sell the battery, charger etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
This is what really annoys me about AT&T, why do they offer insurance on EVERY OTHER PHONE except the iPhone.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, update time:

i just got off the phone with apple... they are going to replace my phone... for a fee...

the apple rep made me an appoitment tomorrow at the genius bar. they charge a $199 fee to fix any non-functioning iPhone. This also includes replacing the screen for those of you that have a scratched up screen and want it replaced. does this suck? sure does. however, im happy to hear i wont be paying for a brand new iPhone. i dont see how they cant replace everything on the phone, as its completly wasted. screen is smashed, theres a divet on the back (probably from a tire) etc. i can only hope because they are discountining the 4gb iPhones, it will be replaced with a newer 8 gig iPhone. one can wish... i will most likely update as to my situation tomorrow. im sure i wont be the only one to demolish their iPhone at some point.

note to self (and everyone else)... dont take your iPhone out on a motorcycle and expect velcro to keep it around your arm. im considering buying a cheap phone to pop my sim card into while im at work and other activities where i might see this happen again.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw... i asked the apple rep about this $100 rebate they are offering to those of us who bought an iPhone when it was much more expensive. he said they are still working out the details, and will probably announce it this week. the $100 rebate CAN be used towards this $199 replacement, if i choose to wait, or those of you that will indefinitly crush your iPhone somehow. updates coming tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz CD 2 GB RAM, 23" Samsung HDTV/Monitor , JBL Creature II, Apple Xbox 360,
i would get the 100 replacement, sell ur stuff on ur iphone and buy the 4gb for 299.

Reaction score
ok, update time:

i just got off the phone with apple... they are going to replace my phone... for a fee...

the apple rep made me an appoitment tomorrow at the genius bar. they charge a $199 fee to fix any non-functioning iPhone. This also includes replacing the screen for those of you that have a scratched up screen and want it replaced. does this suck? sure does. however, im happy to hear i wont be paying for a brand new iPhone. i dont see how they cant replace everything on the phone, as its completly wasted. screen is smashed, theres a divet on the back (probably from a tire) etc. i can only hope because they are discountining the 4gb iPhones, it will be replaced with a newer 8 gig iPhone. one can wish... i will most likely update as to my situation tomorrow. im sure i wont be the only one to demolish their iPhone at some point.

note to self (and everyone else)... dont take your iPhone out on a motorcycle and expect velcro to keep it around your arm. im considering buying a cheap phone to pop my sim card into while im at work and other activities where i might see this happen again.

Keep us posted I am a bit curious what they will say when they see your destroyed phone, not just non-functioning (i suppose its one in the same just to an extreme). And I wouldnt be hoping for a 8gb replacement man, be hoping they help you out at all. If they do it speaks well of the cs of apple and how far they are willing to go to help out a customer.

As a sidenote you can get insurance from 3rd party vendor, but before they will insure you they call the phone to verify it actually is working. Or at least they used to when I added it on previous phones. But let me be clear I am in no way suggesting you try to defraud any company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Unfortunately, it will not be replaced with a newer version. Even if someone calls us about an OOW ipod (or whatever else) we replace it with the EXACT same one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
In regards to my coverage with USAA, I do not have a deductible, I had a power surge at my house and it fried my sony Vaio laptop's motherboard and they sent me a check for 1989.00 4 days later. Then another one for 40.00 to cover the repair estimate they requested from the local computer repair shop. Dealing with USAA has been so easy, when my wifes old Neon was hit while stationed in Korea, we got a check for 4500.00 a week later, and the repair estimate from the repair shop in Korea was only 2700.00 but because it would have cost more in the states they went with what it would have cost in the states, so it has been an awesome experience with USAA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
What do I do? I had heard about applecare being offered eventually on the iPhones, but never really heard if that panned out. Is it covered under warranty. My second question, is being ran over something that will be covered? Or am I better off calling AT&T, getting insurance on it, and in a week saying it was stolen or something? HELPPPPPPP!!!!
How dare you?! I've read through the entire thread, and have seen you've cooled a little, but what is wrong with you?! You want someone else to pay for your mistake.

I'm sorry about your iPhone. Buck up and accept some personal responsibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
btw... i asked the apple rep about this $100 rebate they are offering to those of us who bought an iPhone when it was much more expensive. he said they are still working out the details, and will probably announce it this week. the $100 rebate CAN be used towards this $199 replacement, if i choose to wait, or those of you that will indefinitly crush your iPhone somehow. updates coming tomorrow.
I dont know if im too late to give some insight on this situation.But you can goto www.safeware.com You can register your iphone there.They cover macs as well(thats what i have as well as applecare).They cover ANY kind of damage.Theft,drops,spills power surge.Everything the warranty does not cover they cover.I have registered several high end phones there(Imate JASJAR ,HTC Shift,X7500 and X7501 to name a few)If they cant cover it then i dont think no one will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How dare you?! I've read through the entire thread, and have seen you've cooled a little, but what is wrong with you?! You want someone else to pay for your mistake.

I'm sorry about your iPhone. Buck up and accept some personal responsibility.

ok, i realize i was freaking out at first. i was kind of at a lost for what to do, and was simply exploring my options on if there was insurance, if there was a way i could claim it somehow, etc without forking even more cash out for a (then very) expensive phone. after the initial shock, i cooled down and figured i was gonna have to fork out some cash.

so today i went to the apple store. the two CSA's at the genius bar started laughing and saying how i was a celebrety in the store, as my friend works there and had shown everyone pictures of my phone by close of business yesterday. as the apple rep had told me last night, there was a $199 fee assessed for a replacement phone. i paid the rep, they pulled out a brand new 4 gig phone, popped my sim card and placed it in my brand new iphone. on top of it, i was having issues with my 60 gig video ipod and it was replaced with a new 60 gig vid ipod, no questions asked.

yes, i forked over another $200, but it could have been worse. with no insurance on this phone, they could have shown me to the wall where the new iPhones were and told me to get another one, fronting the whole bill. another $200 hurts, but it is why i am still a loyal apple consumer. and now... a new picture of me with my newwww shiny iphone.

Photo4.jpg

thanks again for everyone's help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ryah, Glad it all worked out for you! The people at your Apple store sound very cool.

It's great to see you with your new iPhone with a smile on your face. Just be careful in the future I guess how you attach your phone to you! That original picture still gives me the chills!!

Take care.

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
Get a new one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
glad to see you got a new one!

Happy ending afterall!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Congratulations! You did it the right way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Ryah, Glad it all worked out for you! The people at your Apple store sound very cool.

The people at the KC Apple store are really cool! (Although there are a couple that are condescending know-it-alls)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.