got new airport extreme! advice and tips plz!

Reaction score
hi i just recently bought the airport extreme from apple store, and it works like magic and i like the design and the simple interface of it. Anyways, i plug a usb hard drive to my airport extreme and was wondering if i could access it faster? as i do have a lot of videos and pictures, it seems like it quite take some time to load it with airport extreme, probably opening a video would take at least 30 to 50 sec to load on the quick time player on my mac book pro (by the way it supports 802.11n), would it be better if i plug it as a firewire interface? as my hard drive does supports firewire but obviously extreme doesnt have an firewire interface, would a converter work if i buy a usb to firewire converter? and also would it possible to expand the aiport extremes usb via usb hub? what are the advantages and disadvantages?

last question regarding the extreme, it said it supports 802.11n how does it differ form 802.11g? is it faster? or only gives better signal and range? and how do i know if im running on 802.11n? ive checked my mbp it does said it has a 802.11n supported but it is automatic right?

these are the questions i guess, i just wanna maximize the capability of my new airport extreme which i really love it thank you very much for your info :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz CTD/2gb RAM. iPod Nano Gen 1 (4 GB)
You can use a hub, I know that; but I'm not sure if it would make everything connected run slower.

SLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
I also just purchased the Airport Extreme. I understand that 802.11n is better signal and range. I just set mine up and it seems much faster that my older router - bu maybe its the signal that is more consistent. I'm runing an iMac and two Windows XP HP Notebooks. Seems quite good. I also found it easy to set up the router. For those of you who want to share a printer, which I just did, you need to install Windows Bonjour on your PC and presto, it will detect the printer that you plugged into the USB port of the router. I must say, its the fastest set-up I've managed. Its good to be back to Apple after I left it in 1987.

OP
D
Reaction score
alright tnx for the info but my main concern is regarding the firewire port does anybody has an snswer for that? thank u

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.