I need to back up my entire Windows partition. Sounds complicated. I hope it isn't...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 20" monitor, OS X 10.4
Hey!
I'm going to try to back up my entire Windows partition, and I've had an idea so that I don't have to reinstall those annoying things which take ages to install, like The Sims 2, or Office 2007 and encarta - back up the Registry!!! I need to partition because I only have 32 gigabytes on my Windows partition, and I can't safely resize it, even with iPartition, so I have got my dad's 160 GB hard drive and am backing up everything, including my registry, as I type. I have done a lot of destructive partitioning ever since I got my iMac, and I was hoping to lead an easy life of non-destructive partitioning (Peace out, man! Stop the destruction!), but alas, I need to, and I have standard grades and Int-2s so I can't afford to have much down-time. Please help, because when I get home from school I'm gonna poartition my hard drive unless someone tells me it doesn't work. Then, I'll try it anyway, but without any conviction that it'll work.
Thanks,
Mr Blue Sky

If it doesn't work: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Disk Utility, click on the bootcamp partition, and then make an image of it... Not sure if it restores to a different sized partition though...

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll check that out.
*worries* :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: :Oops: *worries*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Applying a full registry backup to a new Windows installation - if that's what you're intending - will end in tears. Just reinstall! ;-)

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, thanks. Anyway, I have a lot of homework (It being standard grade start-of-term-time) so I might not be able to do this until the weekend. The registry is only a backup plan, in case all else fails. Oh, and I have all the files that go with the stuff in my registry fully backed up, too.

Wish me luck!:D :D

Mr Blue Sky

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is fixed.

Applying a full registry backup to a new Windows installation - if that's what you're intending - will end in tears. Just reinstall! ;-)

You were right. So, I went into my backed up registry using notepad (What would I do without it?) and extracted the values I needed. That worked. So, kids, If you want to back up ard to install programs like the sims 2, You need to back up the relevant registry values as well as the program files you need. Thanks for helping, and to anyone with the same problem, good luck!
:D

Mr Blue sky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.