Security: Is Mac OS X 10.4 that secure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Hi,

I recently switched over from a mixture of Linux & Windows, I am used to having security issues (Windows) and safe freedom with Linux.

Now I am a Mac user, I would like to know what viruses,spyware,malware,trojans,keyloggers etc etc are out there.

So what's out there? I have turned on FileVault and the Firewall.

Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't think there's any virus or spyware out there. If there was, it would be known. There are some viruses developed as Proof-of-concept, that is, demoed in the lab. All they can do is self replicate.

Filevault won't help you in this case (And always keep a backup of your irreplaceable stuff), cause sometimes Filevault tends to act up). Do keep your firewall on though.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I have found a lot of Anti-Virus scanners, and one spyware scanner.

What are these for if there are no spyware/viruses for the Mac.

Is there keyloggers and trojans for the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
They're pretty much useless for protecting your Mac. They're more useful for removing viruses from email or other files to prevent you from passing on a virus to a Windows user. So you won't get infected, but the scanner is there to keep you from spreading the virus.

I personally find it to be a waste of resources. It's not my responsibility to keep other peoples' machines from getting infected. If they don't have anti-virus programs, then it's their problem when they get the virus.

Oh, and anti-virus companies are also hoping for Windows switchers to pay for anti-virus as a sort of habit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They're pretty much useless for protecting your Mac. They're more useful for removing viruses from email or other files to prevent you from passing on a virus to a Windows user. So you won't get infected, but the scanner is there to keep you from spreading the virus.

I personally find it to be a waste of resources. It's not my responsibility to keep other peoples' machines from getting infected. If they don't have anti-virus programs, then it's their problem when they get the virus.

Oh, and anti-virus companies are also hoping for Windows switchers to pay for anti-virus as a sort of habit.

I agree totally. Let the Windows users keep their own machines protected. I have downloaded files on my Mac for my Windows machines and network copied them over to the Windows systems and AntiVir went off. Some were drivers which shocked me that they had Virus's but AntiVir caught and killed them all. Keep your Windows machines in shape and nothing a Mac user sends will hurt you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have found a lot of Anti-Virus scanners, and one spyware scanner.

What are these for if there are no spyware/viruses for the Mac.

Purely to make money for the software publisher!

There are no viruses or spyware for Macs in the wild.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Will this stay the same forever? Why isn't UNIX secure???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well you can't really say. There ARE security holes in OS X which CAN be exploited but they appear to be very difficult ones to circumvent. So far viruses have only been able to "self-replicate" and nothing else. Let's pray and hope that nothing comes this way...cause macs are getting very popular these days...

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I think I may need to write to Steve Jobs, he needs to make Leopard completely secure. No holes whatsoever, unless this happens Mac OS can never be a replacement for security issues.

What are the holes? And why are they not filled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think I may need to write to Steve Jobs, he needs to make Leopard completely secure. No holes whatsoever, unless this happens Mac OS can never be a replacement for security issues.

I think they're probably working on security already, you don't need to remind them. ;) And if you're waiting for a totally secure OS, then you're in for a looong wait.

I suspect that any security holes in OSX are such that even if you can exploit them, the security of the rest of it means you can't really do much.

What are the holes? And why are they not filled?

Ask Bill Gates the same question.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I just hope no spyware comes out.

I left Windows for that reason!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If a piece of spyware did manage to circumnavigate Safari or Firefox, it would be obvious and easily patched because it should only be a lone program.

Reaction score
One of the big advantages of OS X over Windows is that there is no registry for malware to hide in. So, even if a Mac should get infected (by some future malware), it will likely be much easier and faster to clean it out than in the case of a Windows PC.

Keep in mind that if you are running Windows on your Mac (through Virtual PC, Parallels, Boot Camp or some other method), your Windows installation is every bit as vulnerable to malware as a stand-alone Windows PC. So, it is essential to protect that Windows installation with all of the anti-malware techniques (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) you would use on a PC.

OP
MBNick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Thanks, I am a little paranoid about security.

Unless spyware and viruses come out into the wild, I will be fine without buying MacScan, when and if it happens then I will buy MacScan.

It is not my responsibilty to protect other Windows machines, they should protect them with Anti-Virus.

Windows DLLH3LL,Registry failures, etc etc??? Is that why there is spyware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.