iTunes & music library help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I was not sure where to post this so i will just put it in here. Please note i do not wish to pay for any software.

I have a windows desktop PC and a macbook. What i normally do is just download all my music on my pc and then add them into iTunes on my pc. To transfer my music to my macbook i copy all the files from my pc on to an external hard drive, put them on my mac and then load them into iTunes on my macbook.

1. Is there any better way to keep both my macbook and pc's Music, playlists and iTunes library the same and in sync?

I have lots of mp3's that have missing data such as artists or album names. Also sometimes the same artist who has made two diffrent songs may have there name down differently with a capital letter or whatever which means that on my ipod they dont come under the same artist names and i get duplicates.

2. Is there any easy way to sort this problem out?

3. If i change these details in iTunes, will it then save these details to the actual mp3 file so if i copy the file over to my macbook these details will be saved?

4. I also have a lot of missing album art and when i try and retrieve then it does not work.

If you could help me with my media library problems i would really appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I have lots of mp3's that have missing data such as artists or album names. Also sometimes the same artist who has made two diffrent songs may have there name down differently with a capital letter or whatever which means that on my ipod they dont come under the same artist names and i get duplicates.

Select both of them, hit Command + i, and then enter an Artist name in the Artist field. Both should be the exact same now.

3. Yes. Most details are saved in the Mp3 file itself. Even album art carries over.

4. Not sure what you mean here, but there's an album art tab in the "Get info" of a track. Just hit Command + i, navigate to the album artwork, and there your album art section.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it asked me for an iTunes store account every time i try and retrieve artwork. Does this mean i have to get one, and is it free to get one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The iTunes store account is needed to get album artwork. The account is free, though you have to have a US credit card to register. I guess the UK one will also work in your case....only it will be the UK iTunes store.

Better still, get this widget (there's so many of them) which automatically downloads artwork from amazon and syncs it to your track...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

Can anyone help with keeping my iTunes playlists, ratings and library in sync with both my macbook and pc?

If there is no way of sync'ing them then i there any way i can copy all my media, playlists and ratings from my pc to my macbook?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump, anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.